1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise coming from steering

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tmash, Feb 2, 2009.

1. tmash

tmash New Member

Hi everyone,

I searched the forums to see if anyone has posted something similar to this, but I couldn't find anything. Is sort of sounds like it could be similar to the steering recall for cars made in 03-05.

I have a 2006 with 67,000 miles on it. When the weather warms up a bit, to above freezing, I hear what sounds like a metal grinding noise coming from the steering. It doesn't matter if I turn the wheel to the left or right. The car can be sitting still in a parking place and I turn the wheel a bit, stop and hold the wheel in place and the noise continues for a little while longer. When the temperature is below freezing, I don't hear the noise. Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks
    Tom

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The steering is electric assist. Let's hope this doesn't get expensive. My '04 is silent, a grinding of any sort is usually bad.

3. NapoliPrius

NapoliPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not sure if my issue is similar to yours or not...I often hear a sort of grindy, mechanical noise, very quiet, coming from what sounds like behind the steering wheel. It seems like it has to do with switching from gas to electric and vice versa, since I THINK it happens around then. But it doesn't seem to happen all the time. This has happened since the day I bought it (2008 model). I always thought it was some sort of actuator or something but never been sure. Anyone familiar with something like this?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yes that's probably the vacuum pump for the brakes. Since our engines are not on all the time the car needs a full time source for brake vacuum so they use a little pump. It sounds like its right in the dash when you first get the car but its in the engine compartment.
    To check if this is it make the car READY.....sit there till the ICE
    (Internal combustion engine) shuts off automatically as it usually does (so its quiet) and then pump the brakes 4 times. That pump will come on briefly with it's little ratchety sound. Good luck and hope that's it!