1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise from front suspension

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prev93, Nov 23, 2005.

1. prev93

prev93 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Shortly after I took delivery of my 2004 in August last year, I have noticed a slight clunking of the front suspension when going over certain bumps. It sounds like worn bushings or shock mounts that I have heard in other cars I have owned. It is a subtle occasional noise, but persistent. I don't hear it on smooth or very bumpy roads, just roads that have small, short bumps. I have not mentioned to the dealer, thinking it might be a "normal" Prius noise. My car has about 13,000 miles on it. Has anyone else noticed any noises coming from their front suspension?

2. IFixEm

IFixEm New Member

suspension noise is abnormal on any newer toyta. Ask if the shop has electronic chassis ears. Go to one that does, and offer to test drive with a tech while they sit in the passenger seat and you drive. Electronic chassis ears make quick work of noise diag, without them you are guessing. It could be as simple as a strut with a bit of air in it...the air must compress before the oil will and you get a soft double thump over low bumps.
    Regards, Mike

3. westex39

westex39 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prev93 @ Nov 23 2005, 03:14 PM) [snapback]160513[/snapback]</div>
    Just took mine into dealer today. Had to order a part. I think it was a bad spring rubber at the top of the coil over shock assy. It was allowing metal to metal contact with the body. We'll see after they get it fixed.
    I'll post the results later.

4. samdaman

samdaman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westex39 @ Nov 27 2007, 07:35 PM) [snapback]544952[/snapback]</div>
    That was the first thing they tried on my front-end clunk [see my original thread]. Didn't help. It's been back, oh, half a dozen times since then, chassis ears and all, and the final diagnosis [over 12 months, two offical 'case numbers', and several 'field enginners' later] is '...some do it, some don't, it's a normal sound from the stabilizer bar, we aren't going to do anything to fix it, and if you don't like that answer, file for arbitration...'. Moving forward. I suppose another fine example of why they didn't come up #1 for the first time in years.

Wish you luck -- let us know how it turns out.

5. westex39

westex39 New Member

I just got my Prius off jack stands. I checked every nut, bolt, and attach point on the front suspension. I checked all the spring rubbers. I disconnected the swaybar connecting links and checked all the bearings on the links. I did not find any discrepancies.
    I'm still waiting on the dealer to call me about the part they were suppose to order. I doubt I will ever hear from them. This dealership here sucks. My grandson took his Prius to them and they stole everything they thought was of any value out of his vehicle. I took everything out of mine. But they looked to see if there was anything to steal.
    I'll never buy from them again. Rant over.
    I'm just going to drive it, and not worry about that noise.
    One day I may disconnect the swaybar and drive it and see if the noise goes away.

Regards

Westex

6. samdaman

samdaman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    By the way, I should note that virtually every time I had mine in, I specifically told them that I suspected the strut itself as being the source of the noise [air or some other defect], and every time I was told that they were equally convinced it was not the source. Though for as many times as it was in, I don't know why they didn't simply put a new one in -- even temporarily -- just to rule it out [and try to keep the customer happy]. But they never did.

Also, for the record, the part that they did replace the first time they called a 'strut top bushing', though I'm not sure how the work sheet actually had it listed. And why they would suspect a strut top but not be willing to consider a strut is an even larger mystery to me.

7. mplsprius

mplsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I notice it also

I've had Prius for 2 months and began to notice the suspension noise as described earlier in the thread. Just down the street from the dealer, there is a manhole cover on the driver's side that will cause the noise consistently.

I made arrangements with our salesrep to test another Prius over this manhole cover to see if I can duplicate the noise with another car. I'll post the results.

8. mplsprius

mplsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    results of test

I duplicated the noise on a new prius with 4 miles on it. It seemed harder to duplicate the noise on the smooth roads by the dealer, but I definitely heard it. Now I am also going to focus on the many things I love about the car and not over-obsess about this matter.

9. westex39

westex39 New Member

Its been 2 weeks and 2 days since the dealership ordered the part. No one has called about it coming in. I took it in the 27th of Nov.
    I seriously doubt they even ordered it. My grandson had the same problem with this dealership. I'll never buy from them again. I'm going to wait for about 3 months before I call about the part just to see what kind of B.S. they try to give me about ordering the wrong part and all the other lies they tell.