1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise from transmission?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Budman241, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Budman241

Budman241 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2007 with 400,000 miles. Probably near the end of life, but here goes. Still averaging 40 mpg, lots of highway miles. Timing chain probably needs replacing. I had it at the dealership and they want over 4 grand for a used motor. She runs just fine except for the P0011 and P0037 codes that pop up occasionally. Recently changed the VVT valve, cam and crank sensors. Now I’m getting noise from the tranny on acceleration and when I maintain 55 mph. Sounds like valve taps but it’s not. I noticed that I’m using more volts to run at speed. When at 55, discharge is at a constant 7-14 volts until after 3-4 miles constant speed, all of a sudden it starts charging at a rate of 4-9 volts and the noise gets much louder. On deceleration, charge rate goes to 12-18 volts. Braking, 20-36 volts. I’ve maintained my battery from day one, because I have a partial HV battery sitting here for just replacing packs. Any ideas or just give up…. Thanks!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure what to suggest about the issues you're describing, but just to clear up some terminology, I'd say the discharge and charge numbers you're reporting are in amperes. They are plausible rates for discharging and charging, in amps. Volts in the system will be normally between 200 and 240, ish, or 200 to 500 at the MGs.

SFO likes this.
  3. Budman241

Budman241 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    uh… yes amps. I misspoke or mis-typed. My mind was saying amps but my fingers said volts. Basically, it discharges at highway speed, and charges like I just threw a switch. But only for about 3-4 miles, then discharges for a few miles. Never acted this way before. And as I said, noise is louder during the discharge.