1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise hours after turning off car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Zaxcom, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Zaxcom

Zaxcom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got home form work last night at 5pm, turned off the car and went inside. At midnight I went out to the garage to take out the garbage and there was a whirring motor sound coming from the rear of the car. The car was off, the keys were inside the house but this motor sound kept going. It was not coming from the engine area, most definitely from the rear of the car.

I looked at the dash and all the lights were out except for the one red light that blinks when the car is off.

I tried cycling the power button but that did not stop the sound. So then I went and got my keys, and power cycled the car once again. This time the noise stopped.

What was it?

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Fuel vapour recovery system. The valves often "moan" when passing fuel vapour.

I could say "RTFM", but that would be rude. ;) But do so anyway. :)

3. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It could be part of the Venting of the Gas Tank, Hybrid Fan motor, I hear them as well, in fact my S.O. told me the other day, that noises were heard 8-10 hours after I got home from work and as they were getting into their car in the Morning.

I first thought...No, your crazy or hearing things, but I know it happens, just can't tell you what they are specificially. Some of the more "Techno Posters" I hope will explaing them because Now at least I feel normal....someone else hears them too! ;)

I do know they are "Normal":)

4. Zaxcom

Zaxcom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This was no moan, it was a running motor or fan and it went on for at least 5 minutes that I was out there, and was already running when I went into the garage. Medium to high pitched whirring sound.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't know if the Gen III has the same system, but on the Gen II you also have a fuel system pressure test which runs several hours after the car is shut down. It makes the noise you describe.

Tom

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just in case, make sure your gas cap is on correctly. If it were leaking air into the tank the pump might run longer than usual trying to clear vapors out of the tank.

7. Zaxcom

Zaxcom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Its kind of like the car is never really off. Its little computer brain is always up to something.

8. Zaxcom

Zaxcom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    nvm, duplicate post.

9. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On page-22 of owner's manual, it says...

Noise from under vehicle after turning off the hybrid system
    "Approximately five hours after the hybrid system is turned off, you may hear sound coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction."

Ken@Japan

10. Zaxcom

Zaxcom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thx i feel better now.