1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise in central column.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Piotrus Pan, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi everyone!
    It's one of those crackling/vibrating sounds when driving a certain speed. It's located inside the column right between the driver and passenger.
    It stops when I push the column with a finger but it's kind of annoying keeping my finger there all the time ;-)
    Does anyone have a video or pictures of what I will find there after unscrewing those 4 screws inside that compartment? I just don't want to go blind and end up unable to put it back together.

2. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If someone would have the same problem:
    There are 5 screws there. 4 are under the matt inside the container and the 5th is right above the cup holder behind a plastic cover. The plastic cover is on clips so just pry it with a screwdriver on one of the sides and it comes out. All screws are 10mm.
    The thing that was crackling were lose washers. Those washers are on a hand/foot break line so when you don't use it the line is loosen and the washers can make noise. This whole plastic box resonates I guess that's why it makes it louder.
    I just took isolation tape and taped those washers together. The hand/foot break works with no problems and the noise is gone.
    Cheers!

Rebound and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

Rebound likes this.