1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise on drivers side back

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ConnieJ, Jan 6, 2021.

1. ConnieJ

ConnieJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2014 Prius C with 51,000 miles. Lately I have noticed a sound coming from underneath the back driver's side. It is not all the time, but seems to happen randomly. I also had a brake sound and thought it all might be brake related and took it in to my Toyota dealer and they checked brakes, (I don't know if they checked out the other sound), but told me my brakes were fine. And in fact driving there and driving home everything sounded normal. Now a couple days later, I hear the back sound again. Sometimes when I turned a corner, sometimes when I go over a bump. Not always, but enough that it bugs me. If this is just something that happens when the car gets older I am okay with that. But, if it is something major or something dangerous I want to have it fixed. If you reply please keep in mind you will be talking to an older lady who is alone and doesn't have a husband or son to interrupt "mechanic speak"! Thanks.

2. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    It happens to my Prius C 2012, sometimes it makes random noises for a few seconds then they stop, i think it's normal since this car has quite a lot of plastic in it, good plastic, hard and durable, but plastic.

3. ConnieJ

ConnieJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and will probably just hang tight with this on again/off again noise till I take my car in for servicing later, if it doesn't get worse.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Your report is about right for a wheel bearing. Worth having it checked. They tend to make a humming grinding sound as they fail, and the sound will get worse when you turn away from the side of the car with the weak part. Going over bumps can have a hollower knock sound than usual, too.

5. ConnieJ

ConnieJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's for your input. Sounds like I may need to go in for that servicing sooner rather than later. I will get it checked out.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Should have mentioned this earlier, sorry-

Another possibility is the battery cooling fan. It has a variable speed control, and it can get loud when the computer makes it run at full blast. The pattern may seem random to you.

That fan, which is under the left rear seat, occasionally needs to be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner and or dust brush. I'll see if I can add the youtube link that shows how to do it. Failure to clean it will get the computer to run it at high speed more often.

Anyway you might check on that, sorry I didn't suggest it straight off.

RobAustin and Sonic_TH like this.