1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise on passenger door, removing strip & dealer logo, Smart key replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by local_host, Feb 6, 2007.

1. local_host

local_host New Member

Just picked up a new 2007 model last week. So far I'm pretty happy with my decision, however not as content with the price I settled with, $27,000. Which included option 3, leather seats & extra mile package. All of these features already built into just about every Prius on the lot, so my choices were slim. Only one model had no options but still had the leather seats and other extras totalling over $2,000, and the option package was one of the main reasons I wanted a Prius (although I only needed #2).

A few issues I'm having are a random noise coming from the front passenger door "area". Can't seem to tell exactly what it is. Sometimes it's very noticeable, other times not so much. My guess is that it's the hard plastic or rubber or whatever material the door is made out of- rattling up against the frame when I drive. I notice that when I push down on it, it makes a similar sound. By the way this material seems kind of cheap compared to other cars I've had. It just kind of feels ecomomy-ish. Seems like cars that have the inside part of the door covered in some type of cloth instead of a hard rubber, doesn't have strange noises because the cushioning prevents things shifting around..? So anyone else have this problem? How in the world could it even be fixed, short of taking the door apart and spraying WD-40 everywhere??

Also, my Prius came with one of those cheesy stripes on the entire length of the sides. Of course it was part of the extras package (already added) and itemized as costing $99 bucks! What a waste! I'd like to have this removed, but too afraid to mess with it myself, fearing I might scratch up the car. Shouldn't the dealer take this off for free? Also I'd like to remove the dealer's name on the back door. I hate it when these places use your car for their free advertising. I refuse to drive around town giving some business free advertising. I mean when they have it on the license plate cover that's one thing, because it's easy to replace. But when it's etched into the car, that's just wrong. Actually it looks like more of a semi-permanant sticker. But again I'm worried about trying to remove it myself, due to potential scratch marks.

Lastly I've noticed that sometimes my electronic key fob doesn't work with the Smart System. I think this might be because the key was manhandled quite a bit by the sales reps showing off the car all day, I can tell because the key looks quite used. I wonder if I'm eligible to receive a replacement for free? I was told that buying a new key is over a whopping $200 bucks! I do have an extra but I would like both keys to work as they should.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had a rattle on the passenger's side that happened whenever there was a lot of bass. I popped the forward part of the arm rest (where the window and lock controls are) and inside was a black box. I wrapped a couple of pieces of paper towel around it and that stopped the rattle.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that the interior plastics just aren't that durable. I'm doing my best to try and keep things looking like new, but it's a bit difficult (I've got the tan interior with the leather seats).

Isn't it some sort of EcoPlastic or something...? From what I can vaguely remember, has something to do with better recyclability at the end of the car's lifetime(?)

Or, perhaps, that's just the marketing hype?
    [laughing]

In any case, the interior of my '96 RAV4 is much more solid; the door panels don't creak when I open the window and rest my elbow on the sill, for example.

Regarding your key fob...is this car a demo? If so, I'd definitely request a new key.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "local_host" - ?? - A strange user name.

Insofar as the decorative stripe, It is a decal. I removed a partially-peeling stripe on another car by use of a hair dryer to heat the stripe and pull it off without damage to the paint. I did re-wax over the stripe area after removal of the stripes. Since the Prius paint also has a "clear coat," it's probable that the stripe was applied over the "clear coat." The stripe on my previous Prius [2004 model] was still in excellent shape after over two years of Texas weather and many washings.

How many miles on the odometer when you bought your Prius? Hundreds of miles could indicate a "demo" car. As for the fobs, the fobs on my previous Prius [2004 model] were nearly 3 years old, still had the original batteries and both worked well although one became a bit scratched from carrying it in my pocket. If the salespeople "played" with the fob a lot, the button battery {CR2032} is inexpensive and available at many drug stores and supermarkets, a fairly easy replacement [Instructions in the Owner's Manual].

I always insist that no dealer "decal" or semi-permanent logo be placed on a car I purchase. I expect your comment on a dealer logo on the "back door" means the cargo area hatch. Although that requirement should have been specified prior to purchase, its removal should be done by the dealer without paint damage. I had the salesman write that requirement on the Purchase Agreement. My dealer provided license plate frames which I discarded as soon as the permaent plates arrived.

It's helpful for your Profile and Signature to provide detail on your Prius [Year, Package, Options] and your location so responses can be more accurate.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Feb 6 2007, 01:18 PM) [snapback]386277[/snapback]</div>
    Why don't you just add it to the list of annoyances in your signature??

6. local_host

local_host New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Feb 6 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]386277[/snapback]</div>
    A "local host" is a computer term (for us technogeeks). DEFINITION: Default name describing the local computer address also known as the loopback address of the computer. For example, typing: "ping localhost" in a DOS/Command Prompt, would ping the local IP address of 127.0.0.1 (the loopback address).

I thought ALL Prius owners were computer nerds??!?!??! ;-))

In answer to your questions:

The mileage was 44, so I assume it wasn't a demo. What are 'normal' demo miles? Is it possible the mileage can be manipulated? I'm wondering because the tires look kind of weathered too. Don't ask me why I didn't notice this before I bought it. Long story.

The key fob issue is intermittent, I remember when I was in the sales office, people were coming in and out borrowing the key. It could be the battery but it really just looks all worn and torn. Plus I assume it's been dropped once or 10 times.. Regarding what you mentioned about your 3 year old fob, I think that was before the Smart Key System? I thought that the Smart System was new for 2007 models. Basically it uses a wireless signal to automatically unlock the door when you're in close range, also allows you to drive the car without plugging in the key. So I think these newer keys might be more sensitive to impacts, etc..

Regarding the stripe, I definately don't like it, I think it cheapens the look. I remember stripes were a big thing back in the 70s/80s, just like woodgrain paneling- yuck! So regardless of how long it's able to stay on without peeling off, I'd rather have it removed now. Besides, imagine if it peels off in 5 years and there is a line that is darker colored than the rest of the car?? I guess this issue along with the dealer's name on the hatchback door, is something I should have demanded they get removed before I made the purchase but I just didn't have time. Again, long story. Hopefully they won't try and charge me for these things now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Feb 6 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]386256[/snapback]</div>
    Mine happens when I'm just driving, at any speed. By the way, I noticed that the center console speaker (on top of the monitor) screeches at a certain pitch. Almost kind of sounds like a blown tweeter, but it only happens with a certain tone of voice. I'm reluctant to start popping things open and unscrewing things because the car is brand spanking new but I'll give it a try... Did you use any tools to fix the black box door problem?

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(local_host @ Feb 6 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]386371[/snapback]</div>
    The Smart Key System has been around since 2004. There's even a Smart Key Watch, but it's pretty expensive ($400).

It almost sounds you got a demo Prius. Mine had 4 miles when I got it.

Could you send a picture of your Prius? I would like to see what the stripe is like.

I haven't seen a dealer logo on a California car in ages, only on out-of-state cars. Somehow I got the idea that they were banned some time ago. I remember my father saying a friend of his made them remove the trunk and replace it because it was a plastic logo that had two pins going though the metal.

8. local_host

local_host New Member

Ok I thought one of the new things for 2007 was the Smart Key (maybe it was just the electronic stability control new for '07) ... Anyways the key didn't seem to work a couple of times when I was near the door..

I know that my car was probably used to show customers and perhaps test drive around the block (like they did with me) is that considered a demo? I thought demos had a few hundred miles on them and weren't for sale until the end of the year. Maybe it's considered any car that is used by the sales reps to show, rather than a car untouched since the delivery ..

9. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(local_host @ Feb 6 2007, 03:04 PM) [snapback]386222[/snapback]</div>
    When I purchased my prius it had the business name sticker on the back window. When I pulled out my cheque book to pay for the car I said to the salesman that I charge $1000 per year to advertise their business and that I was deducting $1000 off the purchase price to cover the first year. The Toyota dealer quickly removed that sticker and I didn't even have to ask.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(local_host @ Feb 6 2007, 07:07 PM) [snapback]386402[/snapback]</div>
    If the dealer logo is a plastic sticker it should just peel off without any trouble. I removed part of the dealer logo from my Olds with a blast of water from the self serve car wash.

We've had the discussion here over how many miles it takes for a "new" car to become a "demo" without coming to a consensus. IMO 44 miles doesn't sound like a lot (that's 44 miles on the ODO not the Trip ODOs) but the tires should still look new and no excuse for worn looking fob as it gets zero wear in an SKS environment.

Voice your concerns to the dealer BEFORE you complete the satisfaction survey. If nothing else include your comments on the survey. You can always call Toyota if the dealer isn't helpful.

I know it's hard to get other these sort of irritating things with a new car but if you give it a chance, the car will grow on you and you'll be happy with the selection. Good luck and enjoy.

11. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sounds like you got taken for pinstriping like I did. All dealers do this. I can't blame Toyota. It's a high margin add-on. You actually could've made them take it off and saved yourself the $99.

It's the -Custom Tape Stripe in the Extra Mile Option packages that dealers are throwing onto every car on the lot. All dealers do this with hot models. GM is super pissed at Saturn dealers for pulling this with the Sky's on the lot.

I'm not sure if they will take it off for free. They have your money now. Some dealers are better at that than others.

Some dealer logos come off better than others. The refrigerator magnet kind come off pretty easily with a little patience. That clear coat of the Prius is wonderful at removing things. I've used my fingernails to scrape off tar, dirt, sand, rocks, old wax, paint from my bad distance judging, etc. that resulted in no scratches what soever to the car. I took mine off while washing my car. Besides giving them free advertising, their logo is a cheap brassy looking thing while all the other lettering on the car is silver/chrome.

If your car is still under warranty--MAKE the dealer fix the rattle and the Smart key. There is no excuse for either in a car under 50,000 miles.

Simply put, there is no reason not to take the car in and have your issues addressed. They worst thing they can do is say no. However, I doubt they will. If they do say no, call Toyota North America and complain. Toyota is very sensitive to quality issues nowadays. They saw what happened to GM and Ford. Even though both have improved quality with their brands--the public still doesn't forgive them. Toyota doesn't want that reputation.

12. local_host

local_host New Member

[attachmentid=6526][attachmentid=6525][attachmentid=6524]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Feb 6 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]386378[/snapback]</div>

Attached Files:

13. local_host

local_host New Member

By the way, they were cool about taking off the pinstripe and dealer logo for free.. And they didn't appear to leave any significant scratch marks, well at least not on the sides. The hatchback door area where the logo was had a few small scuffs but not that noticeable. Regarding the smart key, they tested it with some type of special equipment and it checked out alright. Trouble is, it's an intermittent problem, so sure it will test out 9 times out of 10 and maybe even 29 times out of 30, it's that ONE time that it doesn't work (repeatedly) which causes the aggravation. I tried to explain this but it didn't seem to help. They weren't willing to replace it. I think I'll report this when it comes survey time.

Now if I can just get the door rattling noise taken care of..... I was hoping it would just go away by now, but it still persists, so I've gotta find time to take it back again next week, o joy. This issue is really starting to freak me out as the noise seems 'internal', nothing is visibly loose- what if they can't figure out a way to stop it??? I'll be stuck with a $27,000 car with irritating noises whenever I drive?!?!??! I don't even have this kind of noise problems on my ten year old beat up car (which the Prius is replacing).

Also, that damn center speaker above the monitor occasionally sounds like it's blown, but only during certain pitches/frequencies. It will squeal like a cracked tweeter/mid-range speaker. Even adjusting the bass-mid-highs-front-rear don't help. Again, I don't have this problem on my old car and I blasted the stereo constantly .. Maybe having ANY kind of speaker in that compartment causes a noisy vibration. Too bad the controls don't allow you to turn it off and just use the door speakers.

14. nwpa

nwpa New Member

Two suggestions:

1. Try the other fob and see if the same intermittent problem shows up.

2. Put a new battery in the fob that is intermittent.

If number one shows the same problem then the fob is not causing the problem.

Welcome and good luck.

15. local_host

local_host New Member

UPDATE: (in case anyone else is having this problem)

I finally discovered where the 'crackling' noise is coming from- the passenger SEAT! Not the door. Turns out the leather is part of the reason for the noise. Apparently I have leather seats which 'cover' the existing seat, which causes things to bulk out more than usual. Plus I have some kind of special gel (called LiquiCell) that is imbedded into the leather to make it more comfortable. I was told you can either have factory installed leather or 'port' installed leather (where they do it in the US mainland upon arrival off the boat from Japan). Port installed leather has noise issues.

When I first picked up the car I immediately noticed a loud rattle- it was the passenger seat belt buckle banging against the center console. DUE to the extra puffy leather seats. Stuck a piece of foam on the buckle, noise is gone. A few days later I notice another noise- crackling sound coming from the passenger door area. AGAIN??? ANOTHER NOISE????? Sounds like I'm sitting next to a campfire!! The seat is slightly shifting around as I drive, just enough to create the noise of leather rubbing against WHATEVER (and perhaps the 'gel' is also contributing to the problem). I know it's not the door because when I hold onto and kind of pull on the right part of the seat as I drive, the noise stops. To think that the dealer was just about to order a new door panel, THEY even thought it was the door causing the noise!!

So now the dealer wants to take the seat apart, rip out the leather, and 'experiement' till they can get rid of the noise. But there's gotta be an easier way to do this. I don't really feel comfortable about leaving my new car there all day and having them rip it apart. Seems like it might cause additional problems. I wonder if I could just use silicon lubricant spray and maybe Armor All or something to try and 'fix' it myself...