1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise through the console aux power socket

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jmpenn, May 30, 2006.

1. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

I have a Garmin Nuvi GPS that I also use to play audio books while driving. Now that I have a Prius with the nav option that is going to be it's main use.

My problem comes from powering the GPS through the aux power socket in the console. In my old Durango I powered it the same way and used a cassette adapter. I had no noise problems. I can run the GPS via the internal battery and connected to the aux input. Everything sounds fine. As soon as I hook it up to the aux power I get a high pitched alternating squeel. It's moderately loud and incredibly annoying. About half the volume of anything being played. The plug on the GPS power adapter has a small voltage regulator to drop it to 6V. Maybe I can throw a capacitor or two in to filter the power a little.

Anyone else have this type of problem?

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whitestar @ May 30 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]262871[/snapback]</div>
    I had the same problem with my XM radio when I ran it into the aux jack and plugged the power adapter into the 12VDC socket. I got a ground loop noise filter from Crutchfield and it solved the problem. You plug it into the aux jack, and plug your device into the other end.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DNGfXeWxEu8/c...oop&i=127SNI135

3. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my last car I built a homebrew mp3 player that was basically a old pc in the trunk running Linux with a little 4 line lcd display for the dash and a numeric keypad to control it. It was powered by an inverter which I had plugged into the cigarette lighter. It worked very well in my house but the second I put it in the car I got a squealing noise.

I ended up buying a "groud loop isolator" from Radio Shack and that solved my problem. The device went between the pc's audio out and the audio in for my car. The only issue was the one I bought had a pair of male rca connectors on both ends so I had to add a few "Y" cables to convert from the minijack to RCA and back.

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ May 30 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]262885[/snapback]</div>
    The filter from Crutchfield I referenced is made to plug into a minijack- no adapters required.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 30 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]262879[/snapback]</div>
    Wow - if that filter had male plugs on both ends, it would eliminate the need for yet another cable from the device. Nice find though - easier to use than the RS unit in this situation.