1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise when force charging, also Overcharging battery? GEN 4

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Brandon Kennedy, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Brandon Kennedy

Brandon Kennedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello!! So I have been monitoring the battery past 2 days watching the SOC and such since the car has 64k miles on it and i drive it over 120 miles a day.

I decided since it sat at a dealership for 2 to 3 weeks I'd give it a force charge to run the battery to a full charge. So engine warmed up, held brake down and gas down and the engine made an awful rattling noise, does it everytime I force charge it, however it doesnt make it in any under circumstance.

That's problem 1, problem 2 is the SOC and the battery gauge.

The car shows like 50 to 63% charged on bar 5, bar 6 shows 65 to 80% then bar 7 shows up to like 90% then bar 8 will be on from like 90% to 106%. I'm concerned that the gauge is not reading properly and not only that I'm concerned the car allows it to overcharge very easily.

It also let's the battery go down to like 30% and shows 2 bars, sometimes 1 bar. My understanding was the battery operated between 40 and 80%... and max voltage is 207 volts. It let's it get higher, if I'm not mistaken like 215 or so and as low as 193 to 195... I can relook at voltages but it does worry me. Thanks!!!

2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, don't force charge the hybrid battery, aka the traction battery. The hybrid ECU takes care of charging just fine. There's been times when I've turned off the car after my commute home and the battery shows 1-2 bars, in winter, and still shows that the next day. The battery retains its charge quite well. Its the 12v battery that you should worry about when sitting for extended periods of time.

The gauge shows only an approximation of the current SoC of the traction battery. The model Prius that you have, I believe, has the lithium battery. It's SoC range is larger than the nickel metal hydride battery so you will see a wider swing in the SoC of the battery.

The hybrid ECU will never overcharge the battery. When it becomes full, the ICE will kick on to bleed off excess charge. You will only see this when cruising down hill for extended periods of time.

3. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Oops well, theres that lol. I was monitoring it through the OBD II through the dr prius app so it worried me lol. Now my next concern is that rattling noise. >.< worries me lol I came from a 1st gen insight so I was use to grid charging 100% to balance the cells every 3 to 6 months. I understand it used a different chemistry however it was super reliable, 1st prius ive had which I've read on their reliability but still nervous lol considering it's my 1st major car purchase

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand what you're trying to do with it - that's not a process that I've found in the Owner's Manual or have heard it mentioned in 3 years on PriusChat.

What "gear" were you in?

I suggest you don't do that - it comes up with a WARNING not to do it:
    upload_2019-2-23_10-18-17.png

Just drive it - it'll sort it out itself. Doing what you were doing is likely to break something.

WilDavis and kithmo like this.
  5. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was in drive, I did it because that is what is said to be done on the Dr prius app to test the battery, and I was wanting to do a forced charge because of my previous car to force charge the battery to 100% to balance the cells since it had sat for alittle bit at the dealership. I feel if it wasnt meant to happen there would be a system to keep it from doing that, however it doesnt stop you and creates a force charge situation. Regardless there is a rattle. (Hopefully this reply will be approved before other replies come in assuming because I'm new lol)

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect the rattle was because you were doing something it's not designed to do. Accelerator down will have the MG2 and the ICE driving at full torque - with heaps of torque being generated and absolutely nowhere to go - no wonder it's rattling. TOYOTA's dashboard warning should be enough.

Yes, DrPrius suggests doing it - but I'd be very skeptical.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've heard of force charging, I think it is an accepted shop practice. That said, maybe stop doing that, lol.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Well wont do that again lol. But I would like a way to keep the cells balanced. Trying to make it last as long as possible

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First of all, there's no way without using an external grid charger like the Prolong charger to get the battery up to 100% and balance the cells. The car's computers simply will not permit that. What Dr. Prius is calling 100% is 100% of what the battery ECU will do, which is around 80% actual soc. All the Dr. Prius app is doing is measuring how much energy the battery will store, which is an indication of how much the cells are out of balance. It can't balance them.

Your battery is still under warranty, so I would not do anything to it except drive it. Once it's beyond the warranty, you might consider a Prolong system for maintenance. Prolong works, but it won't do you any measurable good if the battery is healthy.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It'll be several years before you need to be concerned about that. It's practically brand new. The Prius is not fragile. Just drive it. Enjoy it. Let it amaze you.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Awesome. I didnt know if there was a grid charger available for the 2016 n up with the new lithium packs... I mainly downloaded dr prius to see if the battery was healthy and functioning the way it should before the 100k warranty runs out. I guess the rattling noise probably is nothing to worry about lol just no force charging anymore haha

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    honda and prius are different animals. don't do anything until you've learned it is the right thing for a prius.

13. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Lol, it's a bit like crashing into a wall to see if the airbags are working, don't do it :LOL:

14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, nothing for the Lithium packs. Sorry. I wasn't paying attention to which model you had. So far, Prolong has no way to grid charge Lithium batteries. And, as I said, there's no hurry on having a charger for Gen 4 anyway since it will still be six years or more before there's any need for it. Eleven years in CARB states. Why spend money charging a battery when the factory will give you a new one for free and recycle the old one themselves?

15. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was expecting the pack to last right at the 100k or might last to 150k. Unfortunately I live in Tennessee and I drive 40k miles a year so I wanted to make the pack last upwards of 250k to 300k. So 40k times 5 years is 200k miles plus the 64k it has now. I mean if it doesnt last 5 years no biggie, just wanted to prolong the cars life.

I've loved it so far n getting about 55 to 75mpg depending how n where I drive it. On the way to work normally 65 to 75 mpg, back home 52 to 60mpg. N average seems to be right at 60 because sometimes I just dont care n drive it normal ‍♂️

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm completely hung up on that phrase; not sure of the intended meaning, but it's funny as hell.

jerrymildred, kithmo and alanclarkeau like this.
  17. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    well the hills hurt mpg, the weather is bipolar, and I dont get the long warranty lol. Which that's not just this state so, oh well. But Tennessee it is.

Does anyone think it's something of concern on the rattling noise? Even though it's something not happening unless I do that (in drive, hold brake and gas), I still feel rattling like hell shouldn't be normal under any condition should it? I'm right past the 60k warranty on the engine, if it is the transmission (transaxle?) Or components inside, would it be covered?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's what I was guessing, but dang: you've ruined the mystery. :)

Are you running higher tire pressures? I think that's tough on suspension and wheel bearings, and basically anything that can shake loose.

Brandon Kennedy likes this.
  19. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I dont think the tire pressures are set high. Their whatever the dealership I got them from set it at. I can check when I get home if this rain has passed. But I think I would of had to of been moving for that to make noise. I sitting still when performing the force Charge (which I wont do again lol)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You should definitely check tire pressures. The dealership does a shit job on tire pressures because its the last thing on their minds.

I once came home from visiting the dealer, and found that my tire pressures were 32 front 36 rear.