1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

noise when pushing the brake pedal hard at a stop

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bry, Mar 15, 2011.

1. bry

bry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i just noticed this last night. i have a 07 with 65k miles on it. my wife said it just started doing this. when i first turned on the car it made this noise. my wife says its like a quack a duck makes. i would call it a buzz groan combination. when the brake pedal is pushed hard to the floor it makes the noise some times. the noise comes on and off at about 3 times a second when its happening. it sounds similar to the buzzing that happens after you turn the car off but lounder and has the 3 times a second pulseing to it. does anybody know what is happening. i think ill try to get a recording of the sound and post it if knowbody knows what this could be.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    See the related TSB for the Gen2 brake "Chirp". The noise is caused by air bubbles going through small orifices in the hydraulic system. The pulsing is probably due to the ABS system activating so this is a clue where to find the bubbles.

It would normally be fixed by bleeding the hydraulic system. This will work as long as there are no leaks to let in more air.

JeffD

1 person likes this.