1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise when turning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bwrx, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Bwrx

Bwrx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everytime I drive the car after it has been off and sitting for a while (over night or while I'm at work) and I make a 90 degree turn I hear a noise similar to a pebble bouncing around the wheel well. It only happens on the first turn and then it doesn't make the sound again until the car has set a while.

It sounds like the noise is coming from somewhere in the steering column or under the dash... Like a tiny screw, ball bearing/BB, or small pebble is resting on top of something and when I turn its falls. I guess the sound could also be described as a "plinking" sound... like something small is falling then bouncing around for a second or two.

Anyone else experience this or know what it is?

Thanks

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ISS problem? Can you feel a tiny little clunk in the wheel?

3. Bwrx

Bwrx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you mean when turning? If so, sometimes when turning its not completely smooth, feels slightly bumpy like an electric motor cogging or like something is slightly tugging on the steering wheel... It'll feel like that without making the plinking sound... The steering also may be making a slight intermittent creaking sound but I've only heard that in a parking garage and haven't determined if its something in the car or just the tires making noise on the cement.

What's ISS?

4. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I was told that is normal. The Prius uses an electronic steering motor rather than traditional hydraulic power steering. The motor has a particular feel and a bit of a sound when in use.

The 'plinking' sound you are hearing sounds like a different sound however.