1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Taath, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Taath

Taath New Member

Ok, so I've been driving and I notice that sometimes as I either start to move or as I'm slowing down there is a slight noise, almost sounds like a little rattling, or maybe like a compressor of some sort kicking in (I am NOT mechanically inclined) I was just curious if anyone else has had or currently has a similar issue (or if you even have a clue what I'm saying for that matter) and also if I should take it in to the dealer to be checked out.

Thanks in advance,
    Taath

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What may sound like a rattle or compressor sound is probably the brake accumulator pump.

Don't start the car. Step on the brake pedal several times in a row. Is that the sound?

P.S. Welcome to PriusChat!

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius uses that pump since the brakes are electrically assisted. Most of the accessories are engine driven on a non-hybrid, but the Prius ICE runs intermittently. Almost all Prius systems are electrically powered.

Tom