1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noises, noises noises

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CJBory, Jul 6, 2018.

1. CJBory

CJBory New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2011 Prius with 83k miles. The car is not used that much any more. Maybe 500 miles a month still on the original 12v accessory battery.

When braking I hear a rapid intermittent noise and I can also feel the pedal pulsating at the same time. It does this even if the car is at a stand still. I was able to record a video and the car is off and is still doing it.

Also every 10 or 15 sec I hear a loud electric noise (also on the video) that is happening all the time when driving.

Thank you in advance.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your video does not work.

The Prius becomes very cranky when not used much. Its hard on the 12 volt battery to stay charged and its hard on the hybrid battery charge also. Hybrid battery sitting dormant will increase possibility of battery connection corrosion.

And if the car lives outside the brake rotors will become hopelessly corroded and make all kinds of racket. Since the car uses regen braking assist theirs not alot of brake pad application to begin with which is why the Prius brake pads last for such a long time. So with no strong application of the brake pads the rotors never get cleaned.

Also if it lives outside I hope you have an insulated window shield in place if not the cabin is seeing 110+ temp all day which will surely kill the hybrid battery over time.

Get your phone camera and take a picture of the front brake rotors through the spokes so we can see how bad they are. There probably super corroded.

I would sell the Prius and just get a cheap beater. Especially if the car must live outside.

RMB likes this.