1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noisey AC In Dash Doors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KJR, Sep 8, 2008.

1. KJR

KJR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 with about 9300 miles. Whenever I have AC/Auto engaged and I turn off the car, come back and start up I hear the AC doors or vents within the dashboard. They make a groaning, dull squeaking noise. It sounds like rubber gaskets squeaking. I can reproduce this occasionally by pressing the recirculation button and then the outside vent button icons on the MFD.

Is this common? I'm not sure it's worth having the dealership rip apart the dash to troubleshoot but then it could be to a binding door that could fail out of warranty.

Thanks for any comments or advice.

Kelvin

2. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I occasionally get the groaning squeak when I toggle recirculation as well. Never caused any problems (that I know of) and I always assumed it was normal.

I just passed 36k over the weekend, so if it does turn out to be a problem, I guess I'm SOL.

3. adtech

adtech Junior Member

I also have a 2008 that had the same problem. The a/c doors are binding and they can adjust and lube them where they are quiet again. I had to do it, the groan was driving me crazy.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This has been mentioned in other threads. The solution was to lubricate the baffles.

Tom

5. KJR

KJR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry for the duplicate post. I did search but didn't find what I was looking for. Can owners do this or should it be done by the dealer?

Thanks.

Kelvin

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Normally it's a dealer job.

Tom