1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noisy Coolant Transfer Pump Replacement Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by biphnest, Apr 7, 2007.

1. biphnest

biphnest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2006 (20K mi) Prius has been making a 4 to 5 second squealing sound at cold start-up that has been getting progressively louder over the past several months. After reading the posts on this forum I've concluded that the noise is coming from the coolant transfer pump (The pump that transfers coolant to / from the coolant storage tank).

I took the car to my dealer and the technician diagnosed the source of the squealing noise as "inverter pump noisy." He installed a new inverter pump (PN: G9020-47030) yesterday. Well, this morning when I started the car I heard the exact same squealing noise. It appears that the inverter pump was not the problem.

I understand that the transfer pump is located somewhere near the front driver side fender. Can someone post a photo or a drawing of the coolant transfer pump that identifies the exact location? I'd like know exactly what the pump looks like and it's exact location when I take the car back to the dealer.

Thanks.

2. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just maybe the noise is normal and the reason why the new pump didn't change anything.

3. biphnest

biphnest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Rest -

I've had the car for a little over a year. I've always heard the pump run at start-up. But the pump began making the squeaking noise about 3 months ago. The squeaking noise has become louder over the past few weeks.

I recorded the sound. Listen to the attached file. The squeaking starts about 9 seconds into the clip and lasts for about 6 seconds.

Attached Files:

• Pump.wav
      File size:
      614.6 KB
      Views:
  4. u4iia

u4iia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(biphnest @ Apr 7 2007, 12:13 PM) [snapback]419474[/snapback]</div>
    My transfer pump has made that noise at least a dozen or more times. More so in cold weather.

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My '04 started it about 20k miles. More so when cold, but now I hear it sometimes on hotter (90°F) days as well. I'm at 79k miles now. Couldn't reproduce it enough before warranty expired to get anything done about it. Hasn't totally failed yet or caused a CEL, lucky me. Others haven't been as lucky though. If under warranty, report it and see if they'll replace it. At least if reported, it will be covered.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm attaching the pages from the service manual.

It sounds like (no pun intended) that they replaced the wrong pump. I remember that they did this on someone else's car also; they finally replaced the right pump and fixed the problem.

My pump also makes the noise, worse in colder temps.

Attached Files:

7. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I started hearing the same noise about a month ago. Of course they couldn't reproduce it at the dealer, since it only happens on a cold start and even then sometimes it doesn't happen. I only have about 9600 miles on my car and it's only a year old, so I figure I have some time while it's still under warranty to see if it gets worse.

8. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Been hearing the same noise for over 100K miles now (have 148K on my car)
    Would not worry to much about it.:)

9. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With all due respect, 100 kilometers isn't a very long distance. ;)

Sorry .... I guess I'm REALLY bored today. :D

... Brad

10. jwbraman

jwbraman RaleighNC

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Steering Noise

Is there such a thing as "normal Prius steering noise"? THat is what the dealer told me was happening.

I bought a 2007 Prius and have noticed in the last 500 miles (I'm only at 4000mi now) a noise that wasn't there before. It sounds like running your wet finger over the rim of a wine glass. It is only when turning sharply... occuring in the same fashion as other vehicles have low power steering fluid only a higher pitch and more prevelent when first starting.

Dealer changed his mind about normal recently in my case, saying that the "backing plate" near the disc brake was bent (car had mild sideswipe acc. at 400 miles) and could be causing the problem.

Any ideas?? Yes, I am going to get the PLatinum warrenty before 6000mi!!

Jim
    Raleigh, NC

11. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the inverter pump?

wrong part mate. The coolant transfer pump is the one that turns on when you first start your car.

12. jwbraman

jwbraman RaleighNC

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I found my 'violin' type steering noise (only occured at low speeds with wheel turned hard to the left or right) was due to a piece of asphalt that got through the front disc backing plate (also called a dust cover) and lodged itself somewhere on the inside of the rotor. The backing plate was bent somehow, and they just bent it back after removing the stone. No charge since I bought it from a dealer who had repaired the vehicle following an accident and gave me a 1 year warrenty. Praise God!

Jim

13. icesalmon

icesalmon Junior Member

My Prius is about 1 year old. I got that noise about 3 months ago, and it is very consistent on cold start up.

I took it to Fremont Toyota this morning. They heard the noise, and determined the noise is from the Coolant tank valve on Coolant transfer pump. The conclusion is, "the noise from the vale is normal operation."

Since someone else from this forums had got a replacement for that problem, I am not satisfied with this response.

I will take my car to other dealer, and try to get it replaced. If Toyota ever send me any survey about Fremont Toyota's service, they won't be getting good review from me for sure.

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds bad but many people have had it for years and the pump has not failed.

If you insist that they replace it make sure that they replace the correct pump.

15. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The new pump should be part number 16290-21011. The TSB covering it is T-SB-0087-08.

16. triscb

triscb New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 07 made this noise right from the start but it really is a benign noise.