1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noisy front wiper linkage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by camner, Feb 29, 2016.

1. camner

camner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2008 Gen II with an increasingly noisy front wiper linkage. It squeaks rather loudly. I know the noise is not the wiper blades on the glass because I've lifted the wiper blades, turned on the wipers, and get exactly the same noise.

Does anyone know of a way to lubricate the linkage?

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your Gen 2 still has the double-jointed passenger-side wiper, right? The squeak is probably right there, you don't need to take anything else off. I popped the plastic cover off the arm itself, but that turned out to be unnecessary (and challenging), so skip it, just take the arm off and add some oil from below.

-Chap

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try this easier method first. I don't know if I read it here, somewhere else, or I "stumbled" upon it myself. In any case, it worked for me.

Get some good lubricant in a spray can and shake well and attach the plastic spray tube.

Then get creative and start spraying that into all the nooks and crannies you can see, including between plates, on the linkages. You need to open the hood to get enough of an angle to access at least one of them very well (the passenger side?).

No need to remove any caps, covers, arms at all. I did put up some sort of "block" (cardboard, crumpled napkin or something) behind where I spraying to keep excess lube off the windshield, etc.

Then close the hood, lift the arms and let them run for a few seconds. If the noise is gone, great. If not, try one more time.

Sorry I am being a bit obtuse about this, but I did it last fall and don't recall all the exact steps.

May not work, but worth a shot before you start removing things. Those plastic covers are really tough to take off. When I tried last fall I gave up as I was afraid I would break them -- that's when I tried my alternative method -- which again, may work for you, may not.

OPPS -- Important -- almost forgot. I use a lube I like, but no matter what you use, make sure it is synthetic - Non petroleum based -- otherwise you can harm rubber and or plastic (not likely, but...).

#4 Stevewoods, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016