1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noisy Stealth mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sdsteve, May 22, 2006.

1. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

When backing out of a spot or when going slowly through a parking lot, the car is essentially silent running (stealthy as it were). The problem is there are plenty of dumb-nice person pedestrians who don't look where they are going and don't look that vehicles are moving - they rely on audio cues to know when to stop walking in front of you.

So, I have an idea for a mod - I just don't know if it already exists or how to design it:

When the gas-engine is not running, and the car is going less than 20 MPH, an audio sound is emitted to the OUTSIDE of the car to indicate that it is running. Ideally, the sound should have some various sounds, from the mundane "beep beep beep" to something that sounds like a racecar. This should give enough indication to pedestrians that the car is indeed moving and to stop walking.

Any ideas if this exists already or how to build it?
    Other comments?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Godiva has posted a "How To" on connecting a buzzer which can be heard outside when backing up. J.C. Whitney, for example, sells a variety of types. One even says, in English or Spanish, "This car is backing up!" If you want it to operate when the Prius is going in either direction it might be better to install a switch.

3. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, there exists a backup mod, unsure about a foward one.. personally I wouldn't do it for 2 reasons...

1) if pedestrians are going to hap hazardly walk into a street.. where cars are... then they deserve any damage they substain regardless if they "hear" a car or not. I mean come on, Mom & Dad taught you this one early on "Look both ways before crossing the street!"

2) I think cell phones are a much more larger reason for the "pedestrians don't pay attention" mentality, and I doubt anything other than a high dB horn could get them to look up from that imaginary place they all seem to be staring at while talking on a cell phone. So again, they deserve any pain that comes to them :)

Something you could possibly do, since you do live in San Diego, just crack the windows a bit and have the radio playing, that should be more than sufficient as far as a warning.

4. berylrb

berylrb Member

you could have ringtones like from "The Fast and Furious" B)

MIkeSF, I thought about that too, and the last time, just before the person hit my car, I realized that I'd still probably be sued, so I blew the horn, scared the beejeebies out of them, but I was sitting stark still, what could I do? I could see teenagers making a game out of it 10 points if they ____ (you fill in the blank) :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that like the pedestrian cross walk law the car is still at fault until the pedestrian is completely out of the road, assuming an uncontrolled intersection not jaywalking, eh?

b

5. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ May 22 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]259245[/snapback]</div>
    So far I've been resorting to the radio trick, but it does rain sometimes here :)

berylrb - I think you are right, which is kinda what I was getting at... even if they step out in front of the car (or behind if backing out of a spot), you would still be at fault for insurance. Besided, I'd prefer not to hit/hurt somebody if I can avoid it. Would be great if the sound effect system can sound like "vroom vroom" or tires squeeling. Make my little prius sound intimidating...

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 22 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]259221[/snapback]</div>
    Kinda what I was getting at, but would want it wired (hopefully easily) when the car is moving at a slow speed with the gas-engine turned off. So it would have to be wired to more than the back-up-lights.

Has to be slow speed so when you are coasting on the freeway it doesn't go off!!

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm thinking of mounting a cool bicycle horn on it somewhere.....you know that old fashion double honking sound!?

7. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My selection would be something someone suggested a while ago; the sound of the Jetson's car.

8. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MikeSF @ May 22 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]259230[/snapback]</div>
    Haha!! That reminds me, I almost ran over a pedestrian in a parking lot last night. Some girl came walking out from between two cars right into the isle as I was cruising in "stealth mode" in a parking lot and she didn't even bother to look until after she was in front of me and I made a quick stop and she didn't even bother to jump or move faster or anything at all even though she almost got run over all because she was talking on her cell phone. They had just built a new middle school in the neighborhood I used to live in and I would see kids walking home from school in the afternoon talking on their cell phones... They're just as bad if not worse than people driving and talking on a cell phone. I saw kids walk out into the street right in front of me because they didn't bother to look or pay any attention to traffic because they were talking on their cell phones. Crazy people never learn... If I didn't want to scratch my new Prius I would feel like running them down...

9. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have experienced the opposite happening in parking lots around here. Most drivers speed through lots -- regardless of a pedestrian having the right of way, i.e. in a crosswalk. I find it makes most pedestrians more aware of cars in parking lots.

At my gym, the finally installed speed bumps in the parking lot. I witnessed quite a few near-misses prior to the speed bumps being added.

Of course, every now and then, I get a "surprised" look from someone who noticed my car is directly behind them.

10. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ May 22 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]259397[/snapback]</div>
    I prefer to have the opening sound of Jaws. Maybe add a little voice saying "land shark". Yeah that;s the ticket. I could even paint the car two-toned to look more shark like.

11. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ May 23 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]259884[/snapback]</div>
    If I had one of those, it would be KITT saying 'Excuse me....' :lol:

12. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

OK, so I think the new requirements is a few built in sounds, and the ability to add a few via a compact flash or a small memory in the device... it doesn't have to have alot as most people would probably only want a few sounds...

Who can build this??

13. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ May 23 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]259884[/snapback]</div>
    Don't forget your "shark fin" antenna...

14. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Take a Coke can, drill a hole through it. Attach shoestring to can and undercarriage. Adjust length such that it only makes slight contact with the ground. At higher speeds, it should fly up and out of the way for the most part.

Downside: people are going to think your car is broken when you're clinking through the parking lot.

Upside: It may not have configurable sounds, but you can "skin" it to your desire. Available in A&W, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, and other cool colors.

15. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wrprice @ May 23 2006, 10:17 PM) [snapback]260142[/snapback]</div>
    I found an avatar that would better suit you for your ideas...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e...d_the_Brain.jpg

Haha! Sounds like an idea Pinky would come up with.

16. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San Diego Steve @ May 23 2006, 06:55 PM) [snapback]260003[/snapback]</div>
    Go record a train and play that back. If you are in a car park it is sure to attract attention.

17. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ May 24 2006, 12:56 AM) [snapback]260209[/snapback]</div>
    Nah... I prefer Danger Mouse. Saving the world instead of taking it over... and his car can FLY. ;)

Yeah, but my hairbrain ideas work. :p

18. _echo

_echo Junior Member

The A/C in the Prius is plenty loud, it sounds really strange too.. Strange enough so that most people don't ignore it.
    Not as loud as some engines I've heard, but loud enough to be audible from outside the car.

It's also free, and dosen't require any hardware mods to the car..

Just punch the A/C auto button. Now I only wish it defaulted back to previous state when you turn off A/C auto, and not into the 'off' state...

19. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San Diego Steve @ May 22 2006, 10:46 AM) [snapback]259196[/snapback]</div>
    Happens to me all the time when driving through the park...Maybe we need to hook up a speaker, like th ice cream man..and play a jingle. Have a great week,

20. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wrprice @ May 24 2006, 11:54 PM) [snapback]260783[/snapback]</div>
    So, what are we going to do today, Brain?