1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nokia 6820 questions/problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Brenna, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Brenna

Brenna Junior Member

Hello all,

I picked up my Prius on Halloween and I just love it.

I am having some issues with my Nokia 6820. When I'm using it through the car, my friends have been complaining that they are only hearing the 2nd syllable of every word. It's fairly consistent -- not related to signal strength. I figure that the phone tries to cut out background noise when I am not speaking and it is just not picking up quick enough when I speak.

Does anyone else have these complaints? Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity? Do I just need to project toward the microphone? Where is the microphone hidden?

More questions:

People have posted that the display will show signal strength. Where does it do that?

One person posted that you can assign a nokia button to disable bluetooth. How do you do that? I have been having a hard time understanding one friend when she is talking on her earbud. Between her background noise and my background noise, everything becomes mush. It would be great to click a button and be able to pick-up the phone.

Finally, I can't find my Nokia manual on how to transfer the phonebook. Can anyone give a quick how-to?

Thanks for your help.

Brenna

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have not had problems with my Nokia 6280. I remember some post about problems if the hands free volume is too high. I run mine at 3-4 bars. (I think it can be set on the screen during a phone call.

AFIK you cannot set a single button to disable bluetooth. You can set the button at the lower right of the screen to get you to where you can turn bluetooth on or off easier. Go to the menu/Settings/Personal Shortcuts/Right Selection Key. This will give you a menu of what you can access with this button.

You cannot transfer the phone book with the Nokia 6280. This seems to be true with most phones. You need to transfer individual entries. Select phone book transfer on the car and tell it to add items. On the phone pick the entry to transfer and scroll through the Options to "Send Bus. Card" then "Via Bluetooth." Note unlike the phone the Prius only handles on number per entry so only send the primary phone number. If you do need to have two numbers for someone, make an extra entry on the phone and transfer that for the second number. You can delete the extra entry when done.

3. bparrish

bparrish Junior Member

Someone at work showed me how to do the 'bluetooth button'. It certainly makes it easier to switch on-and-off. You probably want it 'off' if you're not in the car, since it will use battery to keep it on.

To set bluetooth button (on 6820) press menu, then
    Settings/Personal Shortcuts/Right Selection Key.

You can choose to have the 'right selection key' do a number of things... one of them is bluetooth. (I think M-Mode is the default - after you change it, it won't say 'M Mode" any longer.

I believe the mic is up next to the lights.

Some cell phones are able to show signal string on the display, the 6820 idoes not.

The phone book thing is a major disconnect as far as I"m concerned. I wish it was as seamless as it is between the phone and my computer (infrared).

There are adjustments on the blutooth volume accessed via the (secret) maintenance screen on the prius if you're feeling adventurous. It has three adjustments, one for talk volume, one for listen volume, and another for 'voice quality type'. I have no idea what 'voice quality type' means - mine came set to '3', and I haven't tried to see what it does if it's changed (although to put it BACK to 3, you have to enter "0 3", not just "3" - there's a numeric keypad on the touchscreen for this adjustment). To get there, hold down 'info' and turn the lights on and off 3 times, then press menu (on the touchscreen, that is), then select 'bt voice quality adjust' or something like that. You might try adjusting the talk/listen volumes to see if the problem gets better. Mine came preset to zero, and I haven't had any problem like you describe. If this doesn't work (or if going into 'maintenance mode' sounds too adventurous, maybe next time you're in for service ask to have them adjust it. I would have the service writer call your phone and show them what the problem is.

4. Brenna

Brenna Junior Member

Secret maintenance screen? How very James Bond.

Thanks for the help I will try it out.

Brenna