1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nokian H Low Rolling Resistance Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Duke3099, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Duke3099

Duke3099 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does anyone have experience with the Nokian H (full silica compound) low rolling resistance tires? I see that Nokian all season WRG2 (canola oil silica) tires are popular with Prius owners and seem to produce about the same fuel economy as the OEM Goodyear tires. Since the H tires are "full silica" and have less aggressive tread, they should produce better fuel ecomomy than the WRG2 tires.

I am interested in maximum MPG, more so than all weather traction. I drive my Prius 70,000 miles per year and now is the prefect time to install a new set of tires which will be wore-out before the next snow (November 08).

The Goodyear OEM tires gave me about 52.2 MPG. I replaced them with Pirelli P3000 tires at 45,000 miles and my gas mileage dropped to 46 MPG. They were excellent in the snow, but I was disappointed in the fuel economy hit.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, I don't have any expericence with the tire you are talking about. I have 26k miles on my Prius and I am starting to look for a replacement tire. I don't want to compromise any fuel mileage, so if you find a good replacement, let us know.

3. Duke3099

Duke3099 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Update: I spoke to Al with Nokia US. He recommended the I3 tire which he says has very low rolling resistance.

If anyone has these tires on their Prius, please let me know MPG, ride, traction, noise, etc.