1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 (studless) or Hakkapeliitta 8 (studded) or another studded for the winter?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Deleted member 111882, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Those of us in Maine know the dreadfulness of local winter travel. Last year, I tried switching to snow tires for the first time and went with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 (studless). I was disappointed; they performed only somewhat better than my all seasons (GY Assurance Fuelmax, stock with 10,000 miles), and traction control kicked on every time anyway that my all seasons would have. For more on my experiences, see: #25
    (Update on December 17, 2016: See the following updated post, where I describe my experiences with traction control turned off: #37)

So, this year I was thinking of upgrading to Hakkapeliitta 8 (studded). Though I am concerned that they won't be really any better than the R2s. Especially after seeing Hak8's fail from watching videos like these:
    1. (spins on black ice even at low speed, not impressed, it should not slip like this)

2. (seriously, no traction?! These are STUDS for crying out loud!)

3. (failed going uphill on snow)

4. (Hak 7 fails in deep snow)

This is ridiculous. Is there a better tire?

#1 Deleted member 111882, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2016
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would stay with the studless you have, use caution, and just accept that once in a while (hopefully not half the winter) you need to take a day off. It'll get real expensive, chasing the nth degree of traction, for the (hopefully) few crazy days.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well studded tires are good for ice if you're expecting studded tires to work in deep snow, you're SOL.

I've had an excellent experience with the Nokian R (predecessor to the R2). My snow type is different from yours of course because you're coastal and my snow experience was interior. However, with the type of snow I got (fine crystals when fresh otherwise roads are hard packed), I can drive as if the road was bare. They had excellent grip during cornering and hard braking. Good grip during acceleration (of course there's wheel slip if it's polished ice at intersections or there's freezing rain). They also perform well on bare, frosted roads (temps get down to -30°C overnight)

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm next door in NH. I've been running Bridgestone Blizzak for the past 10 years. No complaints in snow; but I don't deal with that much black ice. When there's an ice storm, I stay home till there's melting.

5. hayashi

hayashi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

#5 hayashi, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  6. You mean these?

This would be so much fun but Toyota doesn't have a "disable TC" button on a 13c :mad: