1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nokian tires group buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tochatihu, Oct 9, 2005.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Dear Group:

I declare the Prius group buy of Nokian NHRi tires to have begun! This project was initiated by Betty Hamilton, and I have done some additional emailing with Ryan at Tirefactory. His most recent email to me (copied below) will answer most questions, but let me make some other comments first.

The Nokian NRHi tire is low rolling resistance, as was the “famous†Potenza OEM tire on US 2001-2003 Prius. It is manufactured in a relatively “environmentally friendly†way, which you may read about at the Nokian web site. It is a unidirectional tread design (as is the Michelin Hydroedge), which means that tires are mounted differently on the rims for the left and right side of the vehicle. The tire rotation pattern then becomes front to back, with no crossing pattern.

As Ryan mentions below, the OEM size of this tire, 175/65R14, has an 82 load index vs. 84 of the original. He regards this as adequate for Prius. But many will know that this has been much discussed in the past. At present I am using 81 load index tires on a 2001 Prius, and they have performed very well. But my next set will 84 or higher.

If I understand the other specifications correctly, all Nokian NRHi tires are 51 psi max, 320 tread life, “A†traction and “A†temperature.

I intend to order the 185/65R14 90H XL tires from Ryan. He wondered whether the extra half-inch diameter can be accommodated, and I am quite sure that it can. He has not yet quoted a price for this size, but I guess it will be about $95 each.

Today I emailed him whether we all need to order exactly the same thing, and don’t have an answer to that yet. But assuming that we can mix n match, you are all free to choose your own.

Tire Factory also sells Nokian WR, which is supposed to be an excellent winter tire. Perhaps someone will want those? If anyone with the new model Prius is in the market for tires, they may want to consider the Nokian NRHi 185/65R15 tire.

The process seems pretty straightforward. Everybody calls Ryan and tells him what they want. Presumably, the total number of customers will be 10 or more, and we will all get the discounted price and free shipping to 48 states, and no sales tax except for Michiganders. His end-date is 31 October, so get crackin’.

It should be obvious that there are some additional costs. Tire installation and spin-balancing typically runs $10 per tire. Most or all states levy a small tire disposal fee.

I am pretty excited about this, although I may store the tires for a while before installing them. Or maybe I won’t be able to wait! I am posting this message on the Yahoo toyota-prius and 2G groups, PriusChat, PriusOnline, and Green Hybrid. Have I missed any?

+++

Hey Doug,

Thanks for the e-mail and the enthusiasm in starting a group buy! The 175/65R14 Nokian NRHi does in fact have a 82H Rating which is lower than the stock 84 load. However, the NRHi in that size would be a fine fitment as it still holds up to 1,047 lbs per tire at max inflation.

The 185/65R14 would be .5" taller than the stock size and may not clear your fenders properly. An alternate size in the 14" would be the 185/60R14, however that only has the 82H rating as well.

We would be willing to offer $10 off per tire saving $40 per set with FREE SHIPPING in the Continental US and NO sales tax outside MI. People can call us at 800-576-1009 to place the order and we accept all major credit cards. To give you a reference the price on the 175/65R14 with the discount would be $89.99 each and the 185/55R15 would be $94.99 each. We are willing to offer this pricing immediately through 10/31.

Thanks! Ryan
    Tire Factory, Inc

+++

Ryan’s email address is tirefactory AT tirefactory DOT com

2. endoildependency

endoildependency New Member

$90 each PLUS installation, road hazard, etc. for Gen 1 replacements?

I got 54K mi. on my original Potenzas ('02), even wear, no handling issues, and replaced them with another set for $60 ea. (incl. everything, even lifetime rotation) through Costco.

3. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm thinking about this. I've got 15,000 + on my OEM tires (2004). I was going to upgrade but not until the OEMs need replacement. I didn't want to offset any enviromental gains made by the Nokians by junking perfectly good tires. The problem with a group by for tires is that everyone needs new ones at a different time. If this were for winter tires (BTW Nokian makes the BEST winter tires!!) you might have better luck.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    New clarifications! Ryan at Tire Factory will offer the Prius group buy discount to any size or model of Nokian tire that he has. So if you want snows or 15-inchers for those new model Pius, please consider the option.

To endoildependency, I certainly respect your decision to stay with the Potenzas. I think your 54k mile tire life might be the best reported. Did you keep them at about 42/40 psi throughout their life?

To all, while we all want our tires to last a long time, PLEASE replace them when ANY wear bars show. A little earlier would be even better. I have seen studies (not specific to Prius) that wet traction falls off rapidly with 3.5 mm of tread depth remaining. Staying safe on the road is the highest priority.

IMHO, to stay with the "84" load rating or better for the 2001-2003 Prius, there are really only 3 reasonable non-snow-tire options: Potenza 175 width, or Michelin Hydroedge or Nokian NRHi in the 185 width. Of the 3, Michelin has the highest UTOQ treadwear index, Nokian may stand the best chance of not reducing mpg, and Potenzas - well by now, classic Prius owners will have decided what they think.

In a few more years we will know if the Nokians can match Michelin's tread life in Prius use. I will be tracking tread depth on one set of Nokians.

I incorrectly wrote that Ryan’s email address is

tirefactory AT tirefactory DOT com

The correct is

tirefactory AT tirefactory DOT net

Apologizing for any inconvenience caused,

DAS

5. mrv

mrv Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  6. endoildependency

endoildependency New Member

tochatihu:

Yes, having learned a lesson from the Potenzas on my '01, I kept my '02 tires at 42/40 from the git-go. And I COULD have milked them for about 59,000, but Costco was running a month-only, $50-off promotion on sets of Bridgestones in July.

And I had been one who was derisive of the crummy Potenzas on the '01s. My originals had to be replaced (at Toyota's cost) at 8,800 miles (cords showing!)
    But Bridgestone improved the tire, and I was slowly won back over. I believe the "160" tread wear rating on the sidewall means NOTHING, except in terms of the arcane formula the tire industry uses. My experience proves it.

E.g., do I think a rating of "480" would have gotten me 162,000 miles? Unh-uh.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Yes, it would be. I spoke with Ryan at Tirefactory, and he confirmed that any Nokian sizes or models would qualify for the "group buy" prices and free shipping. Even if we don't pony up 10 buyers, the discount will still apply. Is this guy desperate or what? He also said that he has steel wheels (for winter tires), but I don't know if his prices on those lead the market.

Endoildependency, you scare we when your say the words "cords showing". I cherish my fellow Prius drivers, and their cars. Please everybody, take a close look at your tires and don't get into that situation! If they are bad, I don't care if you join the tire group buy or not, but PLEASE do something.

Some Prius drivers have very low annual miles, and this is directed at them. Tire carcasses are recognized by the industry to have a 6-year lifespan. I'd rather think of it as 5 years, especially if you live in a hot, high-ozone city. Bridgestone Potenza P92 is the least expensive tire that meets all classic Prius requirements. When you get to 5 years, please consider new tires, even if some tread depth remains.

Hate to go on and on about this, but it has ALWAYS been low Prius tire pressures that precede catastrophic tire failures. Please get a tire pressure gauge, and USE IT! Treat Toyota's 35/33 as your minimum, and the tires' sidewall number (it is probably either 44 or 50) as your maximum. Choose between these whatever fells the best. The donut spare wants 60 psi. Check that darn thing too, at least before you cover it with luggage for a long trip. Be safe, everybody.

DAS

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I apologize for flogging this issue, but Ryan just called to say that
    the Nokian NRHi 185/65R14 is not in stock. He suggest the i3 model as
    an alternative. If interested, see

http://www.tirefactory.net/i3.htm

DAS

9. mrv

mrv Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I called Ryan at tirefactory.net for pricing under the Prius group buy. I was only looking into winter tires for both of my Prius, but I also took down info for comparison to local tire dealers (which throw in free rotations for life, discounted alignments, winter tire changeouts, if you purchase from them). tirefactory.net was cheaper than local upfront (it'll be a wash after about 2 years paying for dealer rotations), and that's what I opted for in the end...

Ryan is a pleasant and knowledgeable tire guy. He says that he's been getting calls for the last couple of days for inquiries from Prius owners...

All purchases come with free shipping (Fedex Ground). No sales tax if you live outside of Michegan. Prices as quoted include the group buy discount price (good until the end of Oct. 2005).

14" = 2001-2003 Prius
    15" = 2004-2005 Prius

Tire sizes in the 185/65, T speed rating:

14" WR tire only = 82.99/each (331.96 for 4)
    14" WR tire/wheel package (includes mount/balance) = 583.84
    15" WR tire only = 84.99/each (339.96 for 4)
    15" WR tire/wheel package (includes mount/balance) = 631.84

14" RSi tire only = 89.99/each (359.96 for 4)
    14" RSi tire/wheel package (includes mount/balance) = 611.84
    15" RSi tire only = 94.99/each (379.96 for 4)
    15" RSi tire/wheel package (includes mount/balance) = 678.84

14" 4x100 steel wheel only = 49.99/each (199.96 for 4)
    15" 5x100 steel wheel only = 59.99/each (239.96 for 4)
    from US Wheel Co., has a unilug design, for offsets greater than 38

tire/wheel packages include tire mounting, computerized balancing, valve stems.

Hakkapeliitta RSi (friction winter, replacement for the Hakkapeliitta Q):
    http://www.nokiantyres.com/passengercars_p...KKAPELIITTA+RSi
    http://www.nokianrsi.com/
    http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=53&w=1

Nokian WR (friction winter, all-weather (4 season)):
    http://www.nokiantyres.compassengercars_pr...&name=NOKIAN+WR
    http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=6

I decided to go with the Nokian WR tire/wheel package from tirefactory.net (group buy discount) for both of my 2001 and 2004 Prius. I'll swap to the winter wheels for this winter, back to the OEMs on the alloy wheels for next spring/summer/fall. Next winter 2006 back to the WRs on winter wheels. Spring 2007 I'll evaluate the OEM tires for wear. If good, repeat. If time to discard, I can either keep the WRs full time, or I can buy some 3-season replacement tires at that time.

Nokian WR
    400 treadwear
    A traction
    A temperature
    Severe Service Emblem

10. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

thanks to all for the great cooperative efforts!

I'm a newbie w/just a tick under 500miles on the 05 mil. silver spacebug and first thing I want to do is change the "Badyear Integrities". Call me silly, but ranking 29 out of 30 on tirerack.com is not my idea of the way to start off a long-term relationship.

That being said, my local tire guy swears by Nokian WR's as a great all season tire. We live in So. Oregon, so we get a mixture or rain, occasional snow, some black ice and in general a longish winter (though not a harsh one in the larger picture). So here's my quandry: I'm a music lover, musician, dj, blah, blah, blah, which all conspires to mean I LOVE GREAT QUALITY SOUND. With this in mind, I want a quite running, energy efficient (low RR) tire if possible which is good if not great all year.

I've checked out tirerack.com's reviews and what do you know, firstly, they don't sell Nokian (I just emailed Tim, on of the managers today asking why) secondly the # 1 & #2 tires in the Passenger All Season (sorted by Winter Perfomance and a couple of other categorie were:::: GOODYEAR Tripletred and GOODYEAR Comfortred. However having never driven either Goodyears (the Tripletreds don't come in my size) nor the Nokian, does any one else have any direct experiences with either tire, specifically related to what Tirerack calls "NOISE COMFORT". If anybody wished to chime in, please do so as I am all ears!!!

Thanks again for all those brave souls who have gone before me and given meaning to a new way/wave of 'responsible driving'.

Post away!

Thanks, Ken

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have received the Nokian i3 tires in the 185/65R14 size for 2001 Prius, but will not install them immediately (current tires still have 4 mm of tread after 45k miles).

The i3 have a 90 load rating, T speed rating, UTQG tread life rating of 620, traction and temperature ratings both are A. Max inflation pressure of 51 psi. According to www.tirefactory.net, these same ratings apply to the 185/65R15 size (for the new model Prius). I know one 2004 Prius driver already using the i3s, and he thinks that they are great.

Given that the current tires have a tread life rating of 560, and that the Nokians have much more load capacity, I am anticipating about 70k miles of use from the Nokians.

12. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

Just a quick note on the Nokian I3's: These are a 3 season, not an all season tire!!! If you live or travel to where there is snow and ice, beware, the Nokian WR's may be a better choice, however the WR's are not a LRR (low rolling resistance) tire. The WR's as well as the I3's (as all Nokian Tires appear to be) FREAKIN' AWESOME. They just may not be appropriate in certain applications.

Food for thought.

Ken

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I was emailing Ryan at tirefactory to see how the group tire buy went, and he mentioned that he was still getting inquiries, and still offering the same discount and free shipping. So I asked "is this off the record or are you officially extending the deal?" He replied that he would give Prius owners the same deal until 11/30/05.

Nokian has both 3-season and winter-only tires for both Prius models. IMHO they are among the best of the "higher-priced" group, along with Michelin. Tirefactory has (or did have) 14- and 15-inch steel wheels for those who want a standalone set for winter.

If you are looking for Prius tires, consider this among your options.