1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nokian Tires what a difference!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FishHawk, Oct 16, 2008.

1. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

Wow, what a differenc these tires are from the OEM tires. No milage hit , in fact an improvement and a quite ride. Thanks to the members on this board who recommend the Nokia WRG2. You got to love the internet.:D
    FishHawk

2. effwitt

effwitt Paparazzi Magnet

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What tire pressures are you running at?

Do you notice any difference in the ride on bumpy roads?

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I run my Nokian WR tires at 42 front - 40 rear as I have all three tire models (Goodyear Integrity, Michelin MXV4+) on my 2004 Prius. The increased PSI does make the ride a little harsher, but the improved tread wear, ride stability and MPG makes it worth it. Note that the Nokians can handle higher PSI (up to 51) safely, but I have stayed at the same PSI that I used in the earlier tires so that I could make valid comparisons.

The Nokians are indeed the best tires I have ever had on any car. They have superb wet and snow traction, good handling characteristics (if a little noisy, but the WRg2 model should have lower noise) and even IMPROVE MPG a bit over both of the earlier tires (The Michelin tires were a little better in MPG than the Goodyear in the winter, had the same MPG in the summer).

JeffD

4. Wa1hog

Wa1hog Old Blind Hippie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What is the milage rating. 50K, 60K??

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My WRs had a 50k mile tread life warranty and at 31k at this point they have enough tread for this winter's use. I can't find an equivalent statement for the WRg2's at the Nokian site, but they should exhibit the same or better tread life than the more aggressive WRs.

JeffD

6. Wa1hog

Wa1hog Old Blind Hippie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ive only got 20K on the orig tires. Living here in NH worries me a bit. Debating as to go with the WRG2 this year or next.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same reaction when I got mine last Dec. I couldn't believe the difference (that and it's the first time I've mounted anything with the mountain/snowflake symbol so that played a role too). I run 42/40 or 40/38 on the WR. My Integritys were 38/36. The WR has a higher max psi rating over the Integrity that's why i'm running higher PSI.

8. Romeo

Romeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Couldn't believe when I saw this post because I just had installed new Haka R and had absolutely the same impression. These are winter tires with soft rubber but they are advertised as very low rolling resistant and I absolutely noticed the difference. It feels like the car was freed from some force that was pulling it back. The tires are relatively quiet too. Of course, I also did wheel alignment which might contribute to the improved ride too ;)

9. Wa1hog

Wa1hog Old Blind Hippie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well its getting frosty here in NH. I suspect that ill run the orig tires for a bit. If I get that sick feeling that im not in control Ill switch em to the Nokians.
    BTY The wife drives a all wheel drive Outback. I drive that when the weather bad and snowing.

10. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    anyone has experience with the michellin x ice series? and how it compares to the nokian WR's?

tideland where did you go to get your WR's?

11. hlthe2b

hlthe2b New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can attest to that! New (used) Prius 2007 owner here. I was apprehensive about trading in the Subie for the Prius, in November, since I have a front range Colorado commute several days a week. Researched the facts about the Nokian WRG2 tires and came armed with data and pricing. When I found this car, the dealership was selling it certified, which means they had to put NEW Goodyear Integrity tires on it to sell, so I made my purchase contingent on them swapping out the Goodyear tires for the Nokians. And, they did it. Now, they sent me home last night on the Goodyears and I have to say I almost had a bit of buyer's remorse this morning since the stretch of road I drove on was so harsh on those tires. But, when I picked up the car with the new Nokians, it was almost night and day. It drove SOOOOO much smoother. I am SOOOO impressed (and relieved that I don't have to fear being caught in one of our Colorado snow dumps that sometimes come up without much notice). While I will go prepared, when I travel into the mountains (the usual mini shovel, emergency sleeping bag, supplies, etc) and I might still buy a set of cable/chains, just in case because I am exceedingly cautious. But, I feel so comfortable now-- these are rated like snow tires, yet they drive like good all weather radials. I can't believe a tire could make this much difference, but it really really does. Anyone in snow country ought to think about these tires. (and no, I have no $$ interest in them, but I suppose if more people buy them, the prices might go down and they may also be more widely available). Fortunately, we have a distributor in Colorado (Denver).

12. c.clark5

c.clark5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG!! I cannot believe I waited 3 years to put Nokian WRG2, 195/55R16 on my 2007 Touring model. They are "WONDERFUL!" Thank you all! For mony years of reading everyone's input have really helped me. Canadians...you rock too! My weather in WA is not as bad but, very wet and cold. The ride and traction is great. After 30,000 on the OME tires, these are "WONDERFUL!" Thank you Prius Chat! Can you tell I'm happy with this purchase?