1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-factory navigation system on factory screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by drewllbrb, Aug 8, 2007.

1. drewllbrb

drewllbrb New Member

I just bought a 2007 Prius a couple of days ago, but I couldn't afford the upper model. I don't have the navigation system, but I do have the factory-installed screen which displays some relatively lame stuff. Does anyone know if there is a method to intigrating a navigation system that uses the factory screen? My hope is that there is some product that will essentially make my car have a navigation system that is similar, if not the same, as the system that comes stock in the upper model vehicle. Thanks

2. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As far as I know, it's not possible. Stick with a portable GPS - search the forum to find threads with lots of advice on the many units out there.

3. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drewllbrb @ Aug 8 2007, 05:38 AM) [snapback]492285[/snapback]</div>
    Garmin makes a unit designed to use a car's display. It does not use the car's buttons. I don't know if it works with the Prius. It might be worth calling them about it.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=361

- Tom

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drewllbrb @ Aug 8 2007, 02:38 AM) [snapback]492285[/snapback]</div>
    That "lame" stuff helps you improve your mileage. But if you don't care, that's ok too.

Look for the Garmin Black Box. It'll integrate into the screen but it is controlled via a remote control, not touch screen.

5. Elephanthead

Elephanthead Junior Member

I think it is extremely hard to integrate into an 2007 screen without navigation or backup camera input, the screen dows have climate control and radio functions, those are pretty standard and not really all that lame, but the screen with the tires and engine is useless, you can however turn it off. I think the whole MFD is a gimmick, almost as bad as the VCR clock. The whole MFD could have been replaced with 3 led lights. Recharge, engine on, electice motor on.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elephanthead @ Aug 9 2007, 02:27 PM) [snapback]493112[/snapback]</div>
    It is interesting that many of us are unhappy with Toyota's instrumentation and install more while some are unhappy and want less. Some of the stuff may be gimmicky but don't discard the useful info with it.

You may be able to get an aftermarket GPS unit to display on the MFD but I don't think you will be able to operate it through the MFD.

7. big apple

big apple New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elephanthead @ Aug 9 2007, 02:27 PM) [snapback]493112[/snapback]</div>

It is interesting that many of us are unhappy with Toyota's instrumentation and install more while some are unhappy and want less. Some of the stuff may be gimmicky but don't discard the useful info with it.

You may be able to get an aftermarket GPS unit to display on the MFD but I don't think you will be able to operate it through the MFD.[/quote]
    i agree with you,what people want to do is not so easily ,for hardware and software are not the same.here is link:http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/906491 not sure if they can give the better device,they sold more than one prado,but not pruis...so ,i am not sure

8. Neodd70

Neodd70 www.mikesnerdvana.blogspo t.com

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might look into the Medialinq Plus by Vais if you have an iPhone. It is designed to integrate the iPhone into the MFD and be controlled by the MFD for playing your music but I also remember reading that it has Pandora that it controls from your iPhone and other "Apps". Not really sure which Apps it uses from the iPhone but from the way it intergrates your music and Pandora I don't imagine it would be that hard for them to also control either the Google Maps app or even another app like TomTom or Garmin.