1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

non HID light problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lengele103, Feb 11, 2010.

1. lengele103

lengele103 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone out there having multiple lights going out in there Prius? We own a 2006 with around 99,000 miles and we started losing lights at the 50,000 mile mark. First it was one headlight, then the other. Since then we have replaced all the lights on the car at least once, and we are on the 4th headlight bulb.....the local Toyota Tech. says it is the quality of the bulbs we are using - but the last two headlight bulbs have been from the Toyota parts dept.

I read somewhere that maybe it was a 12volt battery problem, which was due to be replaced. I changed out the battery for the Optima yellow top and we still have the problem. We are on our second headlight since the battery was replaced.

2. nurseouiser

nurseouiser New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius that I purchased used last October. At the time of purchase, it had 57,000 miles on it. The previous owner took it into the dealer a month before trading it in, reporting that the left headlight would "wink" on and off, then finally go off. She would have to turn off the headlights completely to get the left headlight to come back on. The dealership reported "no problem found". Since purchasing the vehicle, I've now begun to experience the same problem as well as both headlights immediately going dimmer after you turn them on. I now have 60,600 miles on the car. I've done some research and it appears this headlight failure is a common issue that Toyota isn't acknowledging as a defect. On this site alone, people are reporting multiple trips to the dealership to replace headlights, purchasing bulbs on eBay and spending hours replacing the lights themselves and I also found a class action lawsuit being filed by a group of 2007 Prius owners all having the same issues as me. I'm going to be taking mine back to the dealer in a week to address this problem. Since my issue was reported by the previous owner, I required the dealership to guarantee they would replace the headlight at no charge if the problem resurfaced. In light of the current mess going on with Toyota, this headlight failure appears to be yet another defect that is coming to light. We'll see what the dealership says when I take it back.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you touching the glass of the bulbs with your bare fingers when you put the new ones in? Oil on the skin will reduce the life of the halogen bulbs.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto that. Touching these bulbs will kill them in weeks. Handle them only while wearing clean gloves.