1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-hybrid cars that give Good Fuel Economy (highway)

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Troy Heagy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    MPG
    46 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel $26,000
    45 Ford Fiesta SFE $16,000
    45 BMW 328d, Mercedes-Benz E250d ~50,000
    44 Mitsubishi Mirage $14,000
    43 VW Jetta/Gulf/Beetle/Passat TDI

42 Chevrolet Cruze Eco, Toyota Corolla Eco $20,000
    41 Mazda3, Chevrolet Sonic, Dodge Dart Aero, Civic HF
    40 Ford Focus SFE, Nissan Versa/ Sentra, Mazda6, Fiat 500

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  2. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I thought people would find this useful or informative.

3. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Those are EPA rated numbers? AFAIR, with warmed up engine, on level ground, at 50 mph or so. Prius will give you 60 mpg in these conditions.

- Alex

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And yet Prius drivers on Fuelly aren't quite reaching the 50mpg combined.

For an all around family car, it is hard to beat the Prius. Not everybody wants or needs such a car. It is great that other choices are now available, and sometimes it is hard to argue the price difference for those on a budget.

5. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes these are EPA ratings, and the Prius gets 48 mpg if I recall correctly. While I like the Prius and hybrids in general, it's also worth nothing you don't need a hybrid (or the high price tag) to get good highway MPG. My next new car will be a 45mpg Fiesta or 42mpg Corolla or something similar. (Something below 20,000 in cost.)

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I refuse to compare diesel and gasoline MPGs directly because neither their prices nor their carbon contents match. Some adjustment is required.

The nearest fuel station is pricing diesel 21% higher than gasoline this morning. But this gap varies and seems wider than normal now, and I don't have a good reference for the average price spread over time.

Carbon is a bit easier. Several EPA and EIA sources show diesel as containing 14.0 to 14.8% more carbon than the EO (non-ethanol) gas. Compared to the more common E10 gasoline, diesel's fossil carbon ratio jumps to 26.6%. The difference is biofuel carbon, which by international agreement is not counted towards tailpipe emissions. But some will quibble about the accounting for the fossil fuel used to produce that biofuel.

So, depending on which adjustment yardstick is applied, that 46 MPG-diesel is equivalent to somewhere in the range of just 36 to 40 MPG-gasoline.

SageBrush and usnavystgc like this.
  7. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Diesel engines have other problems to at least for me , below zero starting is also a problem, plus I still don't like the obnoxious smell, carbon footprint or not!

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We shouldn't hold the faults of the old diesels against the new ones. Old gasoline engines also had obnoxious exhaust, and I now believe their CO output contributed significantly to my childhood car sickness.

Trollbait likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Could always convert the diesel number to mpge. The model entry on Fueleconomy.gov has a cost to go 25 miles line. It can be customized with local and up to date fuel prices. The cost per mile between diesel and gasoline equipped model tend to be close.

Diesel demand competes with heating oil during the winter, and it has been cold in the North East where oil heat is common. We should be expanding natural gas pipelines to make it easier for homes to switch off of heating oil and coal.

And we can quibble about biodiesel blends, carbon emissions from refining, and the increased hydrocarbon emissions of gasoline. Burning either isn't good for the environment. Many that choose diesel likely wouldn't choose or couldn't find a hybrid or high mpg gasoline vehicle for their needs, and the diesel more than likely reduces their consumption compared to the gasoline choices available.

Compared to the fleet average, that is still damn good.
    Starting is much better with new diesels. Regular below zero starting without plug in heaters is generally bad for either engine and batteries.

I grabbed some ULSD for my heating system one winter. It had known of the diesel smell I remember from the past, and I spilled about a cup of it filling the tank. I'm sure the cold helped in keeping fumes and odors down, but when we would get a delivery of heating oil, you could smell it in the house.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    +1
    And there are more modders defeating emission systems on gas cars than on diesels. They just aren't as easy to spot.

11. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have been watching this guy (the OP Troy Heagy) since he's been on here because I was forewarned about him causing trouble on other sites. I def see a pattern with his posts. He ALWAYS tries to put the most negative spin on the Prius as possible. First of all, he didn't list the cost of the BMW 328, the MB E250d or any other car price that didn't fit into his argument against the Prius. He consistently talks about the "high" price of the Prius compared to non hybrid cars. Then he will only list the hwy mileage of those cars and the Prius (or don't mention the Prius mileage at all). So, in fairness and "truth" in reporting, I thought I'd clear the air and let you know, "the other side of the story".

If these are my choices, I will take a Prius all day long... Now, lets compare the same cars to the Prius for "City" mileage and "combined"

51/50 Prius
    53/50 Prius C
    26/33 Cruze D
    32/37 Ford Fiesta SFE
    32/37 BMW 328d
    28/34 Mercedes-Benz E250d
    37/40 Mitsubishi Mirage
    30/34 VW Jetta/Gulf/
    28/32 Beetle
    31/35 Passat TDI

28/33 Chevrolet Cruze Eco,
    30/35 Toyota Corolla Eco
    30/34 Mazda3,
    29/33 Chevrolet Sonic
    28/32 Dodge Dart Aero
    28/33 Ford Focus SFE
    31/35 Nissan Versa
    30/34 Sentra
    28/35 Mazda6
    31/34 Fiat 500 (requires Premium gas)

In my town, my observations tell me that diesel varies from 40-80 cents more expensive per gallon.

This chart clearly spells out the advantage that the Prius gives you. Nothing can touch it. The closest combined rating to the Prius is the Mitsubishi Mirage (which is not a comparable car at all).

What I can't understand is why the OP would even buy another car? With your super fantabulous lifetime mpg of 89 on your Honda Insight and a 70 lifetime mpg on your Civic Hybrid, why you would ever want another car?

finman likes this.
  12. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Its also worth noting that, at least according to Consumer Reports numbers, the Prius C is significantly cheaper to own and operate over time than any of the vehicles on this list.

8 Year Estimated Total Owner Costs (Depreciation, Sales Taxes, Interest, Insurance, Fuel, Maintenance and Repairs)
    Toyota Prius C - $34,750
    Toyota Prius IV - $39,500
    Nissan Versa - $40,000
    Mitsubishi Mirage - $40,250
    Toyota Corolla: $41,000
    Ford Fiesta SES Hatch - $41,500
    Chevy Sonic - $42,500
    Fiat 500 - $42,750
    Mazda 3 - $43,250
    VW Golf TDI - $43,250
    VW Jetta TDI - $44,000
    Dodge Dart SXT: $47,500
    Ford Focus Hatch: $47,500
    Chevy Cruze Diesel - $48,250
    Chevy Cruze Eco - $50,500
    Mercedes E250d - $88,000

More numbers here:
    Ownership Costs | PriusChat

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    TH tends to troll, but I give him credit this time: he was explicit in stating that this is a highway only MPG comparo.

So far, fine. But then his reasoning fails when he concludes that *for him*, a non-hybrid is a better choice because it saves him money. He does not try to compare similar cars, miles per month or lifetime costs. Does he really ignore safety and reliability ? Can he rationalize the choice ? Can he monetize the choice ?

Now I know that the overriding fraction of Merkins cannot calculate past the $ sticker on the car, but these analyses have been done for TH multiple times over the years he has posted on PC. He ignores them, making him either really, really stupid, a troll, or some of both. I vote for the latter.

14. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not everybody wants or needs a Volt either.

DBCassidy

15. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I left-off the Civic HF, which gets 41 mpg. And yes diesels have more BTUs per gallon, but they are still more efficient overall. For example, a Beetle diesel uses fewer BTU/mile than the gasoline version (which is how I ended-up with the TDI).

And I find those cost-to-own estimates on Consumer Reports and Edmunds to be very wrong. I just did a quick calculation and even though an Insight or Prius C gets lower MPG than Civic or Prius hybrids, they are still about $5000 less overall (pricetag + gasoline cost). Ditto when you look at a Nissan Versa Hatchback, which only costs $13,000 and therefore its price + gasoline cost is about $5000 less than the Insight or Prius C

16. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I didn't list the BMW or Mercedes price because everyone already knows it's insane. (Just like they know 2+2 = 4.) I'd definitely buy a Prius before I ever spent $50,000 on those luxury cars. I even considered leaving them off the list completely, but decided that would be an incomplete listing.

17. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oh and I did list the Combined MPG (in another post). Non-hybrids perform poorly.

Maybe you should go read that post before you say "he didn't post combined MPG" when in fact I did. Also please don't use name-calling like "troll" or "Ahole" or "d___". Yes I consider all these words equally insulting. None of them should be used by anyone older than college age. (Adults should learn to express themselves calmly & rationally, even if they disagree.)

Plus you can hardly say I am "anti-hybrid" given my list of cars in my signature:

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which U.S.-market diesels are more efficient than Prius?

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What Prius model can tow more than a ton? Or at all?
    Heck, despite being larger and having more space, it can't carry much more weight than a Sonic.

Not every one wants a Prius. So it is a good thing there are more fuel efficient options available no matter what they burn or not.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No idea, but what does that have to do with efficiency ? As in, energy/mile.