1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non IPOD Compatible MP3 Players

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TopJimmy5150, Oct 21, 2009.

1. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I did a search on this and was not able to find anything relevent.

Is there a list of Non-IPOD Mp3 players that are compatible with the Prius' USB port. The documentation specifies IPODs and "USB Music Devices" (I think). I would like to find the cheapest selection that will allow me to use the NAV/Touch screen to select songs.

I own several SANDISK SANSAs that don't work with the Prius USB port.

Thanks in advance.
    -Jay

2. BruceG

BruceG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    USB flash drives work well. I don't think any other non-iPod players work.

1 person likes this.
  3. TopJimmy5150

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You mean like a USB Thumb Drive? I have tons of those things laying around, so that would be awesome.

4. lamontcranston

lamontcranston Umbra Tenet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am interested if that's what you mean. I make data CDs of MP3 files but if I could plug in a 16GB flash drive that would be better. (Of course I'd have to get the USB upgrade first...)

5. DickPhillips

DickPhillips Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'll have to try this. My 2010 arrived 11 Sep and the Nav system did come with the IPOD connection. If I understand this string of posts right, I can copy MP3 files from my PC to a thumb drive, plug that drive into the IPOD connection and then see the file names on the Nav screen?

I have burned CDs that play fine in the music system but there is little info given on the screen and it does not have song titles, only info like file # 131, I guess telling me that it is about to play the 131st MP3 file on that CD. I do kind of like to have more info displayed- guess that comes from all the info that is available attached to those files that I keep in iTunes and then burn onto CDs.

6. lamontcranston

lamontcranston Umbra Tenet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the basic radio and on mine if you push {TEXT} it will give you the song title or the artist if it's an MP3 or WMA encoded data CD. Have you tried that?

1 person likes this.
  7. DickPhillips

DickPhillips Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have the other radio that goes along with the Nav system but it does have a button labeled Audio and that does cause the display to change from the map to one that does show the song title, singer, etc plus quite a bit of more information. Thanks for the suggestion!

8. TopJimmy5150

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It works! I loaded up my 8gb flash drive and tried it. Works like a charm...somewhat. It's difficult to navigate across folders. It brings up the first 5 and the scroll bar is grey out so you can't get to any more than the first 5. You can sequentially scroll through the folders, and when you hit Select it will bring up the current folder plus the next five, but again...no more using the up/down arrows on the screen. I did discover that you can hold down the up/down arrows on the steering wheel and it will go to the next folder. Not great, but better than nothing.