1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-JBL System Upgrade -- Misc. Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Hoffy2, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Hoffy2

Hoffy2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All -- I just got my 2011 III Gen Prius with the basic stereo (non-JBL) system. I was expecting it to sound abysmal, but am happy (?) to report that it's just very mediocre. I've tried to read every thread here that seemed remotely related. Forgive me if I missed anything, but I don't think I've found the exact answers I'm looking for. First, my goals/hopes:

1. Keep the OEM HU. I have a basic model, so no Bluetooth, Navigation, etc. to worry about.

2. Replace all six speakers if i can. I read in another thread that front = 6x9 + two "squawkers" in the dash, and rear = 6 or 6.5 round. If possible, I want to power these with a single amp.

3. Add a subwoofer, either in a custom box underneath the rear floor (by the spare) or fabricate a fiberglass custom enclosure in the rear corner like I saw in another thread (fantastic, BTW), powered by either a standalone mono amp, or through a channel in the main amp.

Three preliminary questions:

1. Does anyone know definitively whether the JL Audio Cleansweep (or similar processor) is compatible with the non-JBL OEM HU? If so, I'd LOVE to know more about how the unit is interfaced with HU, Amp(s) and speakers. More pertinently, perhaps -- do I even *need this?

2. IF I want to install an amp, will I need to run wires out of the amp to the door speakers (i.e., rewire them)? Or do I need to simply buy the Toyota wire harness adapters (4 total?) and use the existing wires in the doors?

3. Thoughts on one amp running all the speakers, or a mono amp powering the single sub?

Thank you! :)

2. Mac Attack

Mac Attack New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

I agree. I listened to both the JBL in the Prius III and the base in the II and decided it wasn't worth it.

For $240 I upgraded my II audio such that it outperforms the JBL by simply:

1) Replacing the front sqawkers with these:
    Dayton Audio RS75-4 3" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm

2) Adding these 10" MTX subs:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B001J1XWZ4?tag=priuschatcom-20
    Since I'm the only one in the car usually, I didn't bother upgrading the rear speakers.

I also kept the head unit and used it to power the OEM factory speakers and the new sqawkers. It plays loud enough for me.

The new sqawkers help clean up the higher frequencies nicely, and of course, the 10's play bass much louder and lower than the JBL system could.

I previously had an 8" powered bass tube in the trunk but it wasn't quite loud enough for me. So, I went with the 10's but wired them up so that I can quickly disconnect them and take them out if necessary (the box/amp only weighs around 45lbs). I didn't want a permanent fixture in the corners (battery access), but really, I haven't had to remove my box yet to make space for something. These MTX's are nice - not too loud, but by far the best bang-for-the-buck!

Good luck!

Dave

3. Hoffy2

Hoffy2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply, Dave. Sounds like you've got a good thing going.

My main question for you is: did you replace the squawkers yourself? If so, would you mind briefly describing how you did it? I've had my car for two days and haven't closely examined the grille enclosures. Do they just pop out/open? Was there anything tricky about the install, or did you just wire them up and replace the covers?

The more I think about it, my priority is going to be to replace the 6 main speakers with fairly high-end speakers. The sub can wait, I suppose, but I'd still love to hear what amp configuration folks recommend.

Also, to get closer to an answer to my own previous question, I did some searching here with the keyword "Cleansweep". Looks like it is NOT necessary if you don't have the JBL system.... I'm hoping others will chime in and I can get answers bit by bit.

Cheers

4. Mac Attack

Mac Attack New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to pop the a-pillar cover off first. You can only pull it out an inch and then you need to use some needle nose pliers to twist a plastic tab to completely remove the a-pillar cover.

Once you do that, then you can pull the sqawker cover up. It hinges near the windshield with some plastic tabs so be careful.

I think the HU goes to the sqawker first, and then the fron 6x9 is wired in parallel. So, the factory connector has four wires. Instead of splicing, I just cut the old connector off the OEM sqawker (with high-pass capacitor) and soldered it to my new speaker. So my new speaker is just plug-n-play too. As stated in other threads, don't just put a tweeter up there, you need something with a mid range to it. That's why you need a good 3" or 4" full range driver.

Good luck with your build!

Dave

5. Wooties

Wooties Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm looking forward to the advice in this thread (thanks!). I picked up my Prius over the weekend and am not impressed with the base speakers whatsoever. I'm interested in the option of speaker replacement only and how that will sound compared to replacing amps/head units.

I'm really looking for reference-type listening from the highs, mids and lows. The current muddy sound I have now is pretty painful. I'm not a fan of booming bass but will probably look for a nice sub to fill the lows enough to mix with the rest of the frequencies only after replacing the stock speakers and reassessing the sound.

-Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye here and chiming in when I find something of substance!

6. Hoffy2

Hoffy2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, Wooties:

There is a LOT of info in this forum and I'm glad someone told me about it. Perhaps inevitably, however, it can be fairly scattershot, and as I said, I haven't found exactly the answers I want, since a lot of folks have the JBL system.

Our goals sound similar: I want to get very clean, tight sound with good to great equipment. I'd also like to do the install myself, but we shall see, based on the replies we get here, how realistic that is. I have to say I'm a bit worried about starting to pop panels off, etc...

7. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2 people like this.
  8. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On non-JBL set up, where is tweeter located? is it part of squawker?

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The stock squawker serves as a tweeter. but there is no separate tweeter in it. It's just a cheezy small speaker with a capacitor that rolls off sound below 6khz.