1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-leather upholstery alternatives?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by phidauex, Apr 21, 2007.

1. phidauex

phidauex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm in the process of shopping for a new Prius, and had a question about seat upholstery... I'm not a big fan of cloth seats, but for a variety of reasons I would prefer not to buy leather upholstery.

What are some alternatives that are available? Has anyone tried any of them? I noticed that Ultraleather and Ultrasuede can be used in cars, but I haven't seen any aftermarket kits, or installers that advertise using it. And I don't know how it would hold up, not having had a chance to see it myself.

My goal isn't necessarily to have something that perfectly emulates leather, but I would like to have something resistant to moisture and dirt, cool to the touch, and with a nice luxurious feel. If the right material were available, I would pay an upholsterer to do it, and if it was a kit, I would do it myself. I would prefer something leather-like, but would consider something 'space age', like a neoprene or something, if it had the right properties of durability and feel.

My 1982 Mercedes 300TD has their wonderful MB Tex in it, which is a leather-grain vinyl that is INDESTRUCTIBLE. My car is now 25 years old, with all original upholstery, and lived, outside of a garage, in Texas, for the first 20 years of its life. The upholstery looks brand new! It is very comfortable to sit in, and has many of the positive properties of leather, without any of the maintenance. I just wipe it down every so often, and it looks like it did the day it was made.

If MB Tex 25 years ago was so good, it makes me wonder what great synthetic upholstery is available today. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!

Sam

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the standard cloth is fairly durable but maybe you'd want to try microfibre (Alcantara is the major company).

You can also try synthetic leather but that'll be cold as h*** in the winter and is quite slippery.

Otherwise, just find someone that'll put leatherette in your Prius just like the one in your MB.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Several owners have gotten seat covers from Wet Okole and are very happy with them.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sam, unless you just hate cloth, the Prius cloth seats are great. The fabric cleans very easily. Shortly after I got my 2005, a valet with a ballpoint pen sticking out of his jacket pocket managed to mark up the center console really well. I was just sick when I saw all that ink.

I got a Shout stain remover pad (disposable wipe for when you spill tomato sauce on your shirt at lunch) and the ink wiped right off.

I vacuum the seats every couple of months and about once a year I wipe them down with 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover. They still look like new.

5. vincentsantafe

vincentsantafe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phidauex @ Apr 21 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]427296[/snapback]</div>
    I grew up in an upholsterer's home-my dad. The best leather alternative out there is NAUGAHYDE. A flash from the 70's past, but by far the best stuff. Soft, extremely durable, myriad of colors, textures, etc. Don't accept an alternative, ask for it by name. It should have the name imprinted on the back side. Any good upholstere should know where to get it. Good Luck...

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can look into polyactide polymers like Terratex and see if they have anything that you like. Then an upholstry shop should be able to work with it. It's pretty cool stuff and much more environmentally friendly and non-toxic than most other synthetic materials.