1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-Li-Ion plug-in mod?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Goolash, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Goolash

Goolash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone heard anything about converting a prius to plug-in without adding a Li-Ion battery? I ask, because I only live about 1.5 miles from where I work, and could make it most of the way there and back on a full standard battery charge. I would just ride my bike, but I work the night shift, and do not fancy riding back in the dark at 3am, so i figured if such a solution does exist, and saves significantly over the $10k tag I see on Li-Ion technology, I might just go for it.

2. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I haven't heard of what you seek.

But, it popped into mind that you might consider the electric block heater sold and mentioned elsewhere on PriusChat. It could, conceivably, keep the ICE warm enough over night that you would be able to get ICE shutdown at lights etcetera very rapidly.

The ICE is going to have to run to charge the traction battery, obviously, so this isn't as good as what you are looking for. But, it's something.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Take a look at Poulsen Hybrid for an add-on Plug-in system:
    Home
    They are just starting beta testing. ~$3k for a lead acid system, ~7k for Lion.

JeffD