1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Non-nav Prius III with JBL package including BT does NOT stream iPhone music or transfer contacts

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kpence73, Oct 11, 2010.

1. kpence73

kpence73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I see a lot of posts where people ask about this, and almost every one is answered as if you have the nav system option, so this is an FYI for all those out there, like me, with a JBL sound system and BT but NO nav system.

Even though my sales guy told me it would stream my iPhone AND iPod music, he was wrong. The JBL package that does not inlcude the nav system but does have hands free BT is apparently not a very common package. The nav system streams iPhone music just fine, but not if you don't have the nav system.

I guess it is either a different BT or missing tech that would have been in the nav unit. Either way it doesn't work. It will stream your iPhone ringtone (sometimes and sometimes not) through the front left speaker when getting a call. I have heard it once or twice, but mostly it just uses the Prius ringtone.

One more thing it does NOT do is transfer your iPhone contact list. This is something the sales guy also said it would do....but not if you don't have the nav system.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Non-nav Prius III with JBL package including BT does NOT stream iPhone music or transfer contact

I think the last thing is more of an iPhone issue than a Toyota one. I have the nav and haven't found a way to transfer my contacts from my iPhone... Not sure how Apple's getting away with simple things such as this and AVRCP 1.3...

3. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: Non-nav Prius III with JBL package including BT does NOT stream iPhone music or transfer contact

I have both a Sanyo flip phone and Samsung Epic 4g...both transfer phone book fine. I have ATP.

4. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V

That is the one thing I was able to do quickly and efficiently, copy contacts. No problem at all. I phone 4 to Nav equipped JBL (replacement for reception TSB.)

5. kpence73

kpence73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yes, but as I said in the topic title...this is for people with an iphone and NO nav system.

6. kpence73

kpence73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yes, other phones work fine even without the Nav system. This was for those who use the iPhone and have JBL with no Nav system.

7. ABL

ABL Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

U R correct the Prius HU in the III will not stream BT music. If you want to stream and BT replace the HU. Thats what I did.
    Regards,
    Jim

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Although the inability to transfer contacts from my iPhone 3G and 4 to my 2nd gen Prius is true, I had no problem transferring all of them from my iPhone 3G (with iOS 3.x) to a nav equipped Lexus HS 250h (when I won a one week free test drive). I was pleasantly surprised that it worked.

I haven't had a chance to get this a shot on a 3rd gen Prius since I don't own one.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well how do you transfer contacts from the iPhone in the first place? I haven't found the method.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I wished I remembered the method. :embarassed: :(

(This is referring to the a nav equipped Lexus HS 250h.) From what I recall, as long as the iPhone was paired w/the nav unit, it was thru some UI purely on the nav side (from one of the phone or contacts screens?). There's no way to initiate the transfer from the iPhone nor any means of selecting which contacts would be the phone side.

On my 2nd gen Prius, I could never find any way to transfer such contacts from my iPhone to my Prius either via my iPhone or on the nav side. Long ago, I was able to send contacts from my Sprint Motorola Razr V3m to my Prius. I could select multiple contacts (from the phone side) and send them to my Prius. No such luck w/iPhone of any iOS rev.

LetsTalk.com - Compare Cell Phone Prices, Free Cell Phones, Cell Phone plans, Research Cellular Phones, Cell Phone Accessories. Get the Best Cellular Phone Deals Here! says Yes for "Transfer multiple phonebook entries to the handsfree system at once" with both the iPhone 3G and 3GS w/nav equipped 2010 Priuses.

edit: I found http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/brands/lexus-bt/pdf/549_08Navi.pdf for the Lexus HS and the Palm Pre (couldn't find any iPhone). The steps sound familiar. For the 2010 Prius w/iPhone 3GS w/nav, I found http://toyota.letstalk.com/brands/toyota-bt/pdf/551_08Navi.pdf. Let me know it works.

For 2010 Priuses without nav + iPhone 3GS, per Find a new phone for the, "Transfer multiple phonebook entries to the handsfree system at once" and single are both no.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I figured it must be from the nav side... the bluetooth on the iPhone seems fairly archaic... can't transfer contacts, can't send contacts, can't view AVRCPs....