1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

non-sks fob won't lock/unlock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeremy Thompson, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jeremy Thompson

Jeremy Thompson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wondering if anyone could help me out on this issue. I have been reading through some threads but still can't find a solution.

I have a 2007 Prius with the non-sks key. About 6 months ago my 12V battery went out. I went to the dealership and had it replaced. $300 for a standard 12V battery is freaking ridiculous but that is another conversation. After about 3 months I went to the car and the lock/unlock buttons would not work. I bought 2 replacement batteries for the fob and changed the battery. The red light flashes on the fob but still will not lock or unlock the doors. I have no problem starting the car, just locking/unlocking. I use the metal key to get in the car for now. I called the dealership and they told me to bring it in, but do not want to because they are going to rip me off.

I only have 1 key for the car. I bought it used and am not paying $400 for another key, unless I have to.

If anyone could help shed some light on this for me so I don't spend more money going back to the dealership, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I seem to recall a post here on PC recently that was similar to yours. The poster said they changed the FOB battery but was still having problems. I think they said that the red light was still working, just like you are stating. IIRC, in the end they fixed the problem by replacing the battery with a new one that was bought elsewhere. You might try getting a replacement battery from the Toyota Parts Counter and then swap it out and see if that fixes your problem.

You may find that you have a button sticking on your fob, or you may end up having to get a new fob.

You really should have two fobs, as it will be real expensive for you to try to get a new one if you don't have a working one when the one you have quits or gets lost. I understand you don't want to spend the money, but if you do lose the one fob you have now, it would cost more to replace the one you have now than it would to add a new fob at this point.

Ron

3. Handygeek

Handygeek Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We only have 1 FOB/key for our 2006 Prius.

Toyota wants obscene prices for the remote control FOB and key plus $39. to program.

I am OK with the $39. but if the ehow self-program method works then am happy to save:
    How to Program a Prius Key Fob | eHow.com

Where should I buy a FOB/key for a reasonable price which I may then bring them to program?

I don't know which online source(s) to trust.

Thanks!