1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noob from NJ

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Yaozer, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Yaozer

Yaozer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone,

I'm Yaozer from NJ. I am looking to purchase a 2010 or 2011 Prius for my wife. We were originally looking for a 2012 Prius V, but the tags at the dealerships were a bit high. I am still on the fence.

My primary passion is my motorcycles. I got into motorcycling bc I was looking for a cheaper way to commute to work. It was harmless enough until it turned into a serious addiction. I currently have a heavily modded 2007 Suzuki SV650 and a 2008 Yamaha WR250X.

I'll try to keep the noob questions to a minimum. Regardless, I am looking forward to being a productive member here and learning from you all.

I'm currently eying a 2010 Prius IV with Nav and the solar roof (10k) miles for $25000. Good deal or not? Your feedback is valuable.

Thanks!

2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Yaozer, welcome to PC. I am not up to date with the current prices, so someone else will give you input on that matter.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello there North Jersey I get up your way a lot now, and lived in South Jersey 25 years. South Jersey is a whole different planet as you may know. I am shocked how nice North Jersey is now that I see it better. In a previous life, I had been involved in the South Jersey succession movement. Now I am in North Virginia. Same demographics, but the South is in charge here. Go figure.

If a motorcycle is good for you, I cannot see why the new Prius "c" is not your immediate choice. <$20k and huge space and great MPG. If you need a bigger family car I love the new bigger Prius v wagon.

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <Thanks. The v wagon would be great for our growing family, but the price tag is a little high and it's hard to find private owners who want to sell yet. I prefer not buying from a dealer.

I use the bike to commute and to canyon carve (even now in the winter thanks to heated gear). We hope the Prius will be the family car at this point.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK good luck. Would you consider CarMax?
    I have not checked lately but they used to have new/used Toyotas here on DC Beltway somewhere.

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like a good concept. I will check it out. My primary issue with buying from the dealers is the fee structure: Documentation fees, licensing, and other inflated figures.

Most of my vehicles have been lightly used and sold by private owners.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That seems to be a fair price. It's a bit high for good condition & a bit low for very good on www.kbb.com. The Prius is a scratch magnet so don't be put off by swirlies & hairline scratches. How old is the car? 2010's were sold beginning around April 2009 if I remember correctly. Register the VIN at www.toyota.com/owners to see the dealer service history.

Get 2 working fobs or no deal. The owners manual can be downloaded.

Good luck & enjoy.

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the heads up on the key fobs, Jim. We will probably pick up the car next weekend.