1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noob here~~

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by gtr319, May 10, 2008.

1. gtr319

gtr319 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    got my car since Jan.... jus recently hear this site... hehehehe.... anywho... am from N. CA.... so hello to yall~~ oh yea... name is Calvin

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat, Calvin! Color? Mods?

3. gtr319

gtr319 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    silver in color, so far no mods... but will definitly think of the rain guards since i smoke while i drive.... oh yea, how does the EV mod work and what is it exactly???

4. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome! Glad you are enjoying the car...
    Take some time and search every corner of these forums. You will find things you never dreamed about. How many miles on the car? What kind of driving: city, highway, both?

EV = Electric Vehicle
    A switched mode that allows you temporarily to run the car on battery only, for short periods of time. You have to be careful because if you run the traction battery down too far you can damage it. The Internal Combustion Engine (ICE), which charges the Traction Battery, never starts in EV mode.

Continue to have fun,
    Bob

5. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome aboard! I've also got a silver 07. I added leather seats and love it and have the mud flaps, cargo net and rear bumper protector. Lots of info on this site to make your driving more pleasurable. Once again welcome aboard.

6. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Question for those who've installed an EV switch --

Unless traffic behind me insists, I usually accelerate slowly, in order to utulize battery pwr until the ICE kicks in. (Yes, I've read the contrary warnings, but I'm getting spectacular MPG -- in the 60's)

With an EV switch installed, I suppose you could accelerate more quickly in elec-mode, but then one would expect that the battery bars would also drop more quickly. So, the driver would have to be sure to switch into ICE pretty soon.

I'm just wondering about the sensation of a brisk acceleration in stealth mode....

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bob is incorrect, calling for power by pressing the go-pedal can kick you out of EV mode. The Prius protects itself and a high power demand from the battery might damage it, so if you press hard on the pedal, the ICE kicks in and you go. Also, even if you accelerate only under electric power, at some speed (I think 23 mph but I'm not sure) the ICE kicks in anyway.

8. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bill, I stand corrected. I guess I shouldn't have used the word "never" since there are some conditions that allow the ICE to start. I knew there were some situations that would override EV mode.

In the real world, I guess the only advantage is on those short trips where it prevents the ICE from going through the "warm up cycle". In my case, a trip to the club house and back. I would never go out on the street at less than 25 mph. Leaving my park onto a road with a speed limit of 45 (cars going 50-55+) would surly make my insurance company very upset.

Thanks for the info,
    Bob

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    G'day Calvin, I hear you have a very nice car.

10. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hello everyone,
    I just found this site while lookig for info on my Prius.
    I bought it in January 2008 with 30K on it.
    silver 2006 w/ pk#7
    I have added mud flaps and the auto door lock from Coast.
    so far I love the thing! 55mpg in the city, 43mpg highway at average speeds of 76mph.

11. gtr319

gtr319 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    mang..... i avg abt 43 - 46mpg when i moved out... now i moved back hm... travel is a lot closer.... tee hee