1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noob question, about to get a Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by politemusic, May 3, 2007.

1. politemusic

politemusic New Member

I'm very excited, about to get a Prius. I'm in the Los Angeles area, and I'm getting quotes of about $21.5K for package #2, and $23.5 for package #5. Here's my questions about that:

1) Does package #2 (I ask because I haven't found one to look at near me) have the same steering wheel control that package #5 has? #5 seems to have loads of buttons for a lot of functionality.

2) Does the package #2 stereo sound that much worse than package #5? In searching these boards, it seems people have nothing good to say about the base 6-speaker stereo, and fairly good things to say about the JBL 9-speaker system.

3) Aside from the navigation, is the screen functionality the same? In that it controls audio, climate, all that kind of stuff? I had seen a vague photo online in which there seemed to be less buttons surrounding the package #2 screen, but perhaps that's just the nav control.

I'm just trying to make sure I really need the $2K in upgrades. I think I'd use the nav, but maybe only once every couple of weeks....I'm pretty handy with a Thomas Guide. The bluetooth I'd probably dig with my Blackberry. Homelink I wouldn't use. You get the idea. I just thought I'd post these thoughts and the above questions and get some feedback from those who know.

Thanks so much!

Best,
    Justin
    Los Angeles, CA

2. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

those extra buttons you see on the higher packages are for controlling the nav and bluetooth phone... thats it. The rest of the buttons are the same... i.e. audio, climate, etc

3. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I briefly thought about this myself and thought the Nav wasn't worth the money. You can buy a 3rd party nav for $300-$400...BT would be cool, but again, not worth the money to me...

Mike

4. Prudence

Prudence New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    VSC comes with packages 3 and up, I don't think it's on #2. That may or may not be important to you.

5. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prudence @ May 3 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]434990[/snapback]</div>
    It's standard on all packages.

Don't waste your money on the higher package. You can easily upgrade all those features for half the price. I love music, have about 800 albums, the 'premium' audio system sounds like crap, the speakers on my iMac have better acoustics than this thing. I have the highest package for my 2005 (bought it used) the only extra that I really love is the HID lgihts, but even then you don't really need those. Navigation is a nice feature too, but I've only used it twice...I usually know where I'm going.

6. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ May 3 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]435002[/snapback]</div>

Why don't you consider package #3 and you get the stereo and bluetooth, VSC, auto mirror and anti theft.

7. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 3 2007, 04:41 PM) [snapback]435020[/snapback]</div>
    the stereo sucks, you're better off buying your own speakers, trust me, just read the audio forum. bluetooth...you might have a use for it, I don't even have a cell phone, so my opinions useless. VSC IS STANDARD ON ALL PRIUS, Auto-Mirror is $200 installed after market, right? I wouldn't pay $200 for it anyway. Anti-theft? How is anyone going to hot wire your Prius?
    Get Package 2.

8. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ May 3 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]435050[/snapback]</div>

Listen to both stereos, and consider the extra features, and decide for yourself.

Your prices seem good.

How much would it cost to put a better stereo system in and would they tear up the car?

9. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 3 2007, 05:45 PM) [snapback]435070[/snapback]</div>

I don't think the stereo system is any different in either version, the only difference is that the second one has a 6cd changer (useless if you have an mp3 player), and 3 extra speakers (1 center, which sounds horrible, and better left disconnected). So the only thing you really need to upgrade are the speakers, which you could get a nice set of Infinities off of ebay for about $80 a pair, less than $200 to get your whole car sounding way better than a standard Prius.
    I myself have the JBL setup, I want to buy 2 sets of these http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=

The JBL speakers sound so dull, muddy, and really doesn't pick up and uderlying notes.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ May 3 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]435002[/snapback]</div>
    Traction control is standard on all package. I don't believe that VSC is.

11. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd disagree with mywhitenoise and say that some of the options found in the more expensive packages are indispensible, IMHO. I only seem to make phone calls while driving (over lunch, or on my way home) and I use the Bluetooth phone capabilities all the time. With the Bluetooth built into the car, you never have the hassles of a headset: keeping it charged, remembering to bring it with you, finding it when the phone is ringing, etc. Plus the Prius automatically turns your stereo off for the duration of the call.

Ditto on the indispensibility and advantages of the GPS system vs. having a standalone unit requiring charging/mounting, etc. Plus, the Prius' GPS screen is bigger than a portable unit and it's right where you'd want it positioned for easy viewing without taking your eyes off the road. It's also cool to be able say "Nearest Gas Station" after pressing the voice command prompt button on the steering wheel and have the GPS route you there.

I use the GPS all the time when visiting somewhere new, going to a new restaurant with my wife, finding my way home from an unfamiliar neighborhod, or finding somewhere I've never eaten close to my location when I'm feeling adventurous.

I have package 5 (or whatever one is the GPS without the leather seats) and I'd highly recommend it!

12. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ May 3 2007, 06:58 PM) [snapback]435080[/snapback]</div>

We recently bought 2 pkg #2 cars.
    Added Toyota 6cd changer, Cost $589 + about an hour labor, to both. Dealer can do it but "sound shop" probably better.
    Sound quality is subjective, up to each individual.
    We have a Garmin nav, which we very seldom use, that fits well in the car.
    Have fun,
    Carl

13. gamiller

gamiller New Member

I have a base with #2 pkg and I think the stereo is horrible, go for a higher pkg , really the sound system is embarrassing.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ May 3 2007, 06:34 PM) [snapback]435093[/snapback]</div>
    If you want to upgrade the Toyota GPS DVD you will spend as much for their DVD as you will for some standalone GPS units which can be carried with you or put in another car. Toyota's maps are not current and don't include Alaska and Hawaii (maybe). The buttons are locked out while you are driving. Test out the unit before you buy. It's the only way to determine if the functionality is right for you. IMO you are better off with choosing aftermarket parts that meet your criteria then taking Toyota's overpriced options.

15. politemusic

politemusic New Member

This is invaluable getting these points of view on this. Thank you very very much, all.

It sounds to me like I could make some upgrades on the package #2 system (speakers first, then maybe an amp), and consider the idea of a Garmin nav or something like it. Perhaps spend a total of $800-$1000 on aftermarket solutions.

Devil's advocate: The hassle of going through all that may not be worth the savings...plus the other options package #5 comes with, such as bluetooth, which I would absolutely use, and the headlight upgrade which is kind of cool. OH...and the anti-theft. Hmmm.

So when I look at the difference, it's kind of a toss-up to me personally whether or not spending the extra $2K is a good idea or not, but at the moment, I'm leaning towards the idea that it might be better just getting package #5, but it's sure a close race.

Thank you again...any other thoughts, please post!!

Best,
    Justin

16. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 3 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]435090[/snapback]</div>
    VSC comes with package 2 and higher.

17. ESanders2

ESanders2 New Member

I struggled with the same decision between a package 2 and a package 5. I think the package 2 is well enough equipped with the climate control, MP3, VSC, etc. I decided to save a little money and ordered a 2 in super white with grey, which is still on the lot waiting for me to go and pick it up.

One of the big reasons I switched to a Prius from a Nissan Murano was to save money on both gas and payment. I'm saving about 30 or 40 more per month by getting a #2.

18. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(politemusic @ May 3 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]435222[/snapback]</div>
    I'm telling you, the JBL system sounds just as bad as the regular sound set up. Look on the audio section of the forums. I'm extremely dissapointed with the audio. You don't need anti-theft. If you have the money to spend $2000 extra for just bluetooth and upgraded lights (the fog lights on the Prius are useless by the way) then go for it.

19. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(politemusic @ May 3 2007, 08:43 PM) [snapback]435222[/snapback]</div>
    For the GPS and Bluetooth in particular, I guess what it comes down to is a trade off between usability/efficiency and price. You probably can save $1000+ with a lower options package and still get GPS and at least a Bluetooth headset or kit, but you pay for the savings in the extra little hassles. With a standalone GPS, setup for a drive involves taking the unit out of storage, putting it on whatever mount you choose, plugging it into the DC outlet, then using its controls to set your route. With the Toyota GPS, setup involves turning on the car. The same steps apply in reverse for when you're exiting the vehicle.

My wife an I each have Bluetooth headsets, she has a TomTom GPS unit for her car, and I had a Bluetooth receiver for my Pocket PC (but it recently broke). Having experienced the ad hoc component method and the car integration, I can say that's it's really nice having the Prius replace all the old hardware! You don't have to worry about batteries dying, you leave your DC outlets free for cell phone/iPod chargers, you don't have to worry about suction cups slipping off on a windshield mount or air being blocked with a vent mount for an extra device, you don't have cords dangling about, plus you get features like the car GPS system turning down the music to announce an upcoming turn.

If you have the money and want to spend it, package 5 has superior integration with the overall Prius driving experience.

20. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ May 4 2007, 12:20 AM) [snapback]435338[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with that fully.