1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noob Question - Sorry! No daytime running lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Luvs2Run, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Luvs2Run

Luvs2Run New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the G3 really not have DRL?

2. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Re: daytime running lights

your post did not complete but you seem to be asking if gen 3 has daytime running lights. no, but. you can do like i do. turn on your lights once and then forget about it. everytime you turn off the car AND exit they turn off automatically. no one turns left in front of me. i do the same thing with my motorcycle but with it i keep the headlight on highbeam at all time.

1 person likes this.
  3. Luvs2Run

Luvs2Run New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Perfect - This is how I roll today, so thanks for clearing the air. I see the mods for auto headlamps and was curious!

Thanks!

4. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I'm a DRL proponent. Have been in many countries (incl Canada) where they are mandated. Bottom line, DRLs make a vehicle more visible even in sunlight. But I find them valuable to better see those inconsiderate drivers who do not turn their lights on at dusk or the weather turns dark quickly.

So I have begun to leave my driving lights / tail lights on all the time. As you mention, they automatically turn off 30 seconds after closing the door. And, the V has very cool driving lights - the upper band (not the lower round LEDs) in the att picture.

I will take the minimal power hit.

This make have been asked here before - is there any circuit mod being developed by PC Gurus to automatically turn on the front driving lights when the car is 'Ready'?

Attached Files:

5. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

After just having installed the automatic headlights, the mod you described would be VERY easy and cost about 6 bucks.

My standard disclaimer applies here. I am not a mechanic nor am I qualified in any way to perform auto work. Below is not my advice, but rather a description of what I would do. Please use caution with this or any modification, and please do not in any way rely on my information, but rather do your own diligence and proceed at your own risk.

All I would do is to get one automotive grade 12 volt relay and socket. I would wire the relay to the headlight harness under the dash (see my thread on autoheadlights to see how I did it). The relay would close pins 20 and 12 on that conenctor (L47 see attached picture) The wire colors are light blue and green. Then, all I would have to do is connect the other two wires from the relay, (the ones that control the relay on/off state), to a 12V+ source when in ready mode and the other to ground. That's it. Daytime running lights.

If I didn't want the highbeams on, but wanted all other exterior lights on, then I would connect pins 18 to 12.

Attached Files:

• L47.JPG
      L47.JPG
      File size:
      14.4 KB
      Views:
  6. gonzfence

gonzfence New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No daytime running lights

I bought a Toyota Prius 2005 in Miami three months ago. In two months I am going back to Canada, and I would like to import my vehicle. To pass the Canadian inspecion I will need to have DRLs. I went to a Toyota dealer, and they told me that my car doesn't have DRLs and it is not possible to install it. But I see you have multiple solutions for that.
    Does anybody have tryed to install DRL in a Prius? I would like to know how to do it and the price for that.
    Thank you very much for your help,

7. Fred Hiltz

Fred Hiltz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: No daytime running lights

A search for "running lights" turns up several relevant posts. Among others, I described my experience installing an aftermarket kit in a G3, not significantly different, in this thread: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...aytime-running-lights-brake-light-pulser.html

Better check the kit's web site for the current price.

Fred

8. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. So you can turn on your headlights manually (leave them on all the time.) There is a mod where you disable the 30 second delay. That is certainly a viable solution.

My question, here, is that the dash dims way down when the lights are turned on...the dash goes into night time brightness mode. Is there a way to disable so you can keep the headlight on while maintaining bright dashboard during the day?

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Roll the dimmer switch all the way up, past the click. This forces daylight mode.

Tom