1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noobie, looking to buy used older Prius for project car

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by HIsmiths, Jul 4, 2016.

1. HIsmiths

HIsmiths New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live on the Big Island Kona coast, and am looking at older Prii to modify into a beach car/village runabout, along the idea of the old FIAT Jolly (see album)

There are a couple of likely 2002 candidates, the body works for my cut n' paste. I've done several car hacks in the past, but I know nothing about the whys and wherefors of hybrids.

Here is the CL description (can't post link yet) the current candidates
    This listing is for a 2002 TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID. I bought the car several months ago and could not get it started. The battery cells were all upgraded to GEN II but are NOT included at this price. The car has a BRAND NEW INVERTER, not used or rebuilt. I do not know enough about how these cars work to get um started. The interior is in GREAT condition with no tears, stains, burns or broken molding. The exterior has some signs of wear & age, but no holes or rotted out metal. Overall it, it's in great shape for the age and miles. If you want to part it out, there's plenty of money to be made. Safety check is out from May of 2014 with no tickets owed, title is in hand. All 4 matching COOPER tires have approx. 75% of the tread with no uneven wear. All electronics work, windows, lights, horn, ICE COLD A/C, good heat, defogger, stereo and all other functions. Located in Nanawalle.

The seller knows nothing, and neither do I. The car is thirty or forty miles from the nearest dealership, and I guess they just want out. They will sell with the new batteries for $1,500.00.

What do I look for, or do I just run away?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! see jimbo palmer's thread, 'who should not own a gen 1 prius'. all the best!(y)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to keep an old prius running, you need reasonable mechanical, electronic, and troubleshooting skills.
    there is a product called mini vci, which connects obd to your old windows laptop, and contains toyota tech stream software. that, combined with toyota tech info, at $15./2 days use, gets you everything a certified hybrid mechanic has at her disposal.
    your only other advantage is access to priuschat guru's. :cool: (of which i am not one)

4. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you have the time, it could be doable. Perhaps this may be helpful Actuarial Life Table