1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Normal headlight off but high beam still works.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RIPinPrius, Oct 7, 2018.

1. RIPinPrius

RIPinPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi I need some help with a headlight issue with my Prius gen 2 and want to make sure it requires a bulb requirement but not something else.

Recently I hit something on the passenger side headlight area. There is no crack but the normral headlight would not come on that side, despite the high beam/emergency blinks/turning blinks all working. I was able to fix this for awhile but just slapping the headlight from the outside. Sometimes it would come on by itself but mostly it would be off until I slap it awake. A week later that headlight would not come on at all (high beam still working) even after vigorous slapping.

Does this sound like a bulb issue? I assumed the high beam used the same bulb as the normal lights but have no real clue on this.

2. 4priusowner

4priusowner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm assuming are these the stock lights on the car or have they been changed to LED lights I have the same problem on my driver side but the LED lights have a amplifier that sits underneath the light which sometimes when shaking loose can cause this problem.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You first need to decide if your Prius has halogen headlights. If it does not have fog lights then it has halogen headlights.

If your car has halogen bulbs, each bulb has two filaments, one for low beam and the other for high beam. The low beam filament has failed .

4priusowner and m.wynn like this.