1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Normal wear from OEM Integrity tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MattFL, Sep 6, 2009.

1. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Time to replace the OEM integrity tires, 20k and they are 100% bald on the sides, look great in the center. Debating on another set of integrity tires or some MXV4's. I've been meticulous about running Toyota specified pressure, maybe that's where I went wrong. Have many people gotten even wear from the integrities by adjusting pressure higher? The performance of these tires was fine for my area, but the wear is completely unacceptable so I'm trying to decide if increasing pressure alone is enough to 100% resolve the wear issues.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Questions about tires are probably the most often asked here. Maybe we should start a FAQ!? :)

The Integrity is not a highly rated tire. Most OEM tires tend not to be of the best quality, which is unfortunate. The manufacturers would get better test ratings and reviews for their cars, and we'd all be safer. Check out Consumer Reports or Tire Rack for comparisons. Note the Integrity is fifth from the bottom in the Tire Rack survey. Not that Goodyear doesn't make good tires: their TripleTred is rated the best among all-season tires. The best tire for you depends on your needs, which vary depending on your local climate. If you live in an area that gets regular snowfall in the winter, or you want to drive somewhere that does, then you need real winter tires. So-called 'all'-seasons are best for three seasons, really, and likely aren't up to full-on Winter.

Buying two sets of good tires, one for winter and one for summer, costs the same in the long run. You're simply buying two sets at once, with the added bonus of having a safe choice for whatever the seasons may bring.

But if it never rains where you live, California or not, then look for something with good dry traction. If it pours, then get something with good wet traction.

Whatever you choose, pump them up, to at least 42/40. Some use 50/48 with reportedly good results. As they say, your mileage may vary.

In other words, your tires are crap. But look around; there are a zillion threads here about tires. :)

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got to 30k by running 40 / 38. Even with 40 psi, the edges wore more than the center.

I switched to Michelin X-radials.

4. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am in S. FL, so all I care about is dry and definitely wet performance. In my 21 years of driving I have never once driven on ice or snow so winter performance does not matter at all. It would be great to start some sort of sticky or permenant thread on tires. They are consumables and always changing so they would make a great long term evolving tipic.

5. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm at 35K on my Integrity's. I should get another 20K out of them. I run a little higher pressure 52/50 with no abnormal wear on the edges. The only other thing I do is rotate every 5K.

6. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Be careful, the sidewalls of my Integrities are marked with max psi 44#. Maybe everyone getting "normal wear" is running well beyond the rated max pressure for the tire?

7. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I ran my Integrity's at 44 psi the whole time and changed them at 61,000. I just changed then to the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max.

8. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced my Intregrities at 24K. They were almost down to wear indicators. The fronts showed some wear on edges, even though I rotated every 5K, and pressure was 40/38. I don't know how people got to 60K, I'm not that bad of a driver.
    Goodyear made good on warranty and I replaced them with GY Assurance FuelMax with about 45% cost savings. They are quieter, and rated better than OE tires. A little better in side winds. The mpg increased slightly, I think, due too slightly larger diameter (.1"). Still evaluating mpg.
    FuelMax may not be as good as Michelins, but the price was right.

9. tsunami

tsunami Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :eek: Wow, I would be scard to death of a blow out on the interstate with that much pressure!

Kirk

10. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Catastrophic tire failure is much more likely at low pressure vs. high pressure, rendering your fears unwarranted. A Prius is a lot of car to drive around on a 185/65-15 tire and the collective experience around here is that the door pressures are ridiculously low. I'm not going to tell you to set yours above the max sidewall pressure, but I would be much more afraid of the low end of the range.

11. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think any time you're running at 118% the max rated pressure of the tire, fears of unexpected failure are rational and healthy. And frankly it's a little upsetting because it knowingly and intentionally puts other innocent drivers on the road at increased risk.

12. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got 35k out of mine. Call Goodyear before you replace them. They will honor the 50k Treadlife warranty for the Integreties, at least they did for me. The best cause for the early failure that I can find is a slightly bad rear alignment. Since rear alignment is set in the factory and not adjustable (without shims), this may be part of the cause cause from some drivers getting 20k and others getting 60k.
    Police Officers disagree with your premise. Sgt. Dave posted a great article on it. He runs the San Jose Police academy.

13. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the tip about calling Goodyear, I'll give that a shot.

In regards to max pressure; I'm not referring to 118% of what's marked on the door plate on the car, but 118% of what's marked on the sidewall of the tire. The manufacturer knows more about the tire than anyone and they have a good reason for specifying a max pressure. Also here is a clip from the article:

"For liability reasons, most agencies are reluctant to exceed the maximum pressure listed on the tire for actual patrol vehicles"

14. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, how do you prove you only went 35k on the tires? Especially here where you take them off and put snows on for 4 months of the year.

15. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sgt. Storton recommended 50 psi, the lawyers only allowed him to go to 44. Many people refuse to put EV mods or PHEV mods in their cars because of what lawyers might do if they did. I wouldn't consider "litigation" as a technical reason, but a political one. He still chose to train new drivers on 50 psi for the improved handling and safety.
    I kept detailed maintenance records and provided them to Goodyear.

16. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you happen to still have the number that you called at Goodyear?

17. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The number is listed on the "contact us" link at Goodyear.com. The rep I talked to (think her name was "Sue") said that most Goodyear OEM tires are not covered, but that Integrity OEM tires are actually covered by the 50k warranty. The way it works is that you get a prorated discount off of whatever Goodyear replacement you want. So since I got 35k of 50k miles out of my tires, that means I was "robbed" of 15k. That qualifies me for a 30% 15k/50k from the MSRP of Integrity to the MSRP of whatever else I want.

So if Integrities MSRP is $90, that's a $27 claim.
    So if Fuel Max MSRP is $110, with the claim applied, thats $83.

Problem is you can usually find the tires for less than the "reduced" price since everyone sells tires WAY below MSRP. But I did enjoy making Goodyear listen too my griefs. If your only got 20k to 25k out of your tires, you may be in a better position.

Get quotes on MSRP of both the tires your filing a claim against and the ones you want to buy so you can do the math yourself instead of relying on the service center to do it right. I also suggest you negotiate installation before you mention that you are making a claim.

As mentioned earlier. Check your alignment. Mine is definitely bad, that is why mine wore early. Problem is, it's the rear alignment that is out, so there is little (short of shims) I can do to fix it.