1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

North Korea agrees to disable nuke plant

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Oct 3, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Wait, you mean to tell me that diplomacy is actually working?

This is a very nice step forward, and i'm very glad that we were able to achieve it without any military action.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Oct 3 2007, 09:55 AM) [snapback]520554[/snapback]</div>
    So President Bush's foreign policy directives over the past 6 years has worked with NoKo - NICE! And now we have evidence of President Bush using non-military force to achieve a goal of this import - and we now have proof that he can if possible and as a first option go for a diplomatic solution if possible -- seems to be the same policy we are using with Iran currently. Perhaps, the Iranians will be as cooperative as the North Koreans??

A big success for the current Administration.

4. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But will YOU be happy with a diplomatic solution in Iran? You have endlessly called for bombing them and debating AGAINST diplomacy.

It IS a nice Win for Bush and the free world. (and for NoKO who gets US funded nuclear energy in exchange).
    Actually, it's almost the same solution Clinton gave years back, except nuclear assistance replaces fuel oil supplies as the carrot.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Oct 3 2007, 02:28 PM) [snapback]520729[/snapback]</div>
    Please, I would love for Iran to settle up and stop their progressive march towards nukes voluntarily. I just dont think they will and we must act before they get too close. If they really wanted nukes for peaceful power generation than I would gladly sell them a GE or Siemans or Toshiba reactor.

It is a nice win for diplomacy - although i do not trust the NoKo's - money has it that the installation that Israel bombed in Syria was NoKo - and was manned by North Koreans - they were/are trying to sidestep diplomacy here.

anyhow - nice piece of good news for all of us. about time!

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    a pleasant surprise, for sure.

7. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 3 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]520741[/snapback]</div>

Well, maybe that's why they agreed to dismantle-- because they'd already dismantled it and sent it to Syria. Though I hear they had a little difficulty with the reassembly.:) Jokes aside, if NoKo does follow through with this and go back to being a non-nuclear power, it is a significant diplomacy win. Has any country ever actually given up nukes before?

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Oct 3 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]520750[/snapback]</div>
    Iraq, but that was after blew up their reactor in 1981 :D

One day, perhaps - no one will have them.

I would love to know what Israel destroyed in Syria 4 weeks ago. I understand Israeli special forces raided the facility before they destroyed it and obtained nuclear material that was traced back to NoKo. I also understand that that info was presented to the White House which cleared the Israeli's to take it out and had American air assets in the air in Iraq if things went south after the raid. They were preparing for Syria to knock back - the fact they did not - and did not even mention it until recently - speaks volumes of what must have been there.

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    North Korea's power plants have been shutting down longer and longer since they have NO fuel supplies. (Look at a space picture of Korea at night.) China has now figured out that giving lots of free fuel to Korea is no longer in China's best interest since China needs all the gas it can get for its own economy. (North Korea does not have any industry that generates cash.)
    This is not entirely diplomacy, this is North Korea using its very, very last bargaining chip.