1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

North Korea

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Oct 9, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bush has a 33% approval rating with congressional elections less than a month away, Iraq is a quagmire after being deemed a 'threat' despite any proof that they could harm the US in any way, and now N.Korea has, apparently, successfully tested a small nuclear device and had a minor failure of a missile.

Can anyone doubt that N.Korea could, if left unchecked, launch a nuclear tipped missle that could reach at least to Alaska if not California within the next year?

The UN Security Council seems to be little more than a mouthpiece and doesn't seem to have the guts to launch a major effort to attend to a threat as REAL and serious as N.Korea.

What do we do? Anybody got thoughts about how we should react, how do we bring about reasonable control of this crisis. How do we keep N.Korea from getting these nuclear devices into the hands of terrorists like OBL?

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

...aside from your self-convinced tone on just how wrong and senseless the war in Iraq is....

...keeping countries such as N. Korea Iran from acquiring/developing nuclear weapons is pointless. Yes, pointless. Primarily based upon this:

It's only a matter of time.

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Put lots of economic sanctions on them (including countries around them). If they try to sell nuke tech. or a bomb to anyone, take action before it gets out of the country. Once the tooth paste is out of the tube it is almost impossible to get it back in.

4. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 9 2006, 09:11 AM) [snapback]330005[/snapback]</div>
    We (the U.S.) should follow our own rhetoric that military action is a "last resort", and cease the threats and saber rattling. Why have diplomatic efforts failed? Given that all people basically seek the same thing (peace, security, healthcare, education, economic oppportunity, and fairness) why can't we find some common ground to work from. Diplomacy is a heck of a lot cheaper than war. We should be working day and night to find reasonable and mutually beneficial solutions.
    Reading the recently declassified potions of the NIE, it is clear that terrorists are motivated by perceived inequities and denial of opportunity (i.e. Palestine). We will never defeat terrorists until we break their will to fight. So long as the U.S. is perceived as the bully on the playground, and preventing the advancement of certain countries/groups for selfish reasons, terrorists will continue to recruit and be motivated.
    When I think of the billions expended in Iraq, I can't help but wonder how many 'good works' that money could have bought at home and abroad. The goodwill generated by those actions could have dramatically changed how the U.S. is seen, and turned many would-be terrorists into intelligence reporting assets instead.
    Don't get me wrong. I work for, and believe in, the Department of Defense. But lately the Bush and Rumsfeld Neocons have transformed it into the Department of Offense, a strategy I do not support.

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 9 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]330005[/snapback]</div>
    Obviously, the neoconners placing them on the "axis of evil" hasn't helped. I'm kind of depressed that the situation progressed this far, but N. Korea having the bomb bothers me about as much as Israel, India, etc. having it. So what if they can reach Alaska? We could nuke their entire country, and probably would, were such a thing to happen.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 9 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]330029[/snapback]</div>
    I do realize I'm probably alone in thinking that... :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmccord @ Oct 9 2006, 10:37 AM) [snapback]330035[/snapback]</div>
    This brings to mind some frustration I have, not only with Bush, but I think in the Washington powers-that-be in general. That is, this refusal to enter discussions with folks like the Iran pres. (sorry, I can't spit out the name and am too lazy to look it up again) and w/ N.Korea directly. The impression I get is that this is somehow granting them more respect and power than they deserve. That we're putting them up to 'our level' if they can insist upon and be granted a face-to-face discussion or negotiation.

While I do understand all that, to a degree, it seems that those meetings could be managed in such a way to maintain our status as the one 'allowing' or 'granting' the meeting. I have to wonder if just giving those countries the impression that we're considering them seriously might allow them to back off of some of the posturing. I think this is more true for Iran than for N.Korea...at least it is now, but I think we may be doing our country a disservice by perpetuating the impression that many countries have of us as a bully and thinking ourselves a 'superior race' or whatever by not considering other countries as equals.

7. jared2

jared2 New Member

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I'd say the intelligence is wrong.. All these countries are making up their seizmic data and this is just Bush trying to steal the oil from north korea.

Let's just elect some democrats, stick our heads up our butt and wait till we see their next test... which I belive the test location is in NYC or LA depending on which city will provide accomodations.

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 9 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]330005[/snapback]</div>
    Park 500 megatons of warheads about 5 minutes off their coast, and drop them if there's a hint of need.

Beyond that, not a lot...

10. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Oct 9 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]330060[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for such a thoughtful & rational response. It's nice to see this kind of clarity & insight brought to such a complex issue.

11. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmccord @ Oct 9 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]330035[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you might consider that North Korea, while not having enough resources to feed it's own people, has the 5th largest military in the world and the largest percentage of it's population serving in the military.

While the people of North Korea undoubtably are interested in "peace, security, healthcare, education, economic oppportunity, and fairness", their leadership is nuts.

12. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 9 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]330041[/snapback]</div>
    oh yeah, that's right, truth is cotingent upon masses... Keep shoving propaganda the war in Iraq was wrong, and they're not a threat, and maybe we'll ALL believe it...

...that is, until the dirty nuke is traced back to a camp 200 miles outside of Baghdad... but oh yeah, there was no evidence, just like in Afghanistan on 9/10.... :rolleyes:

there isn't anything to discuss that hasn't alread been related by the respective diplomatic parties, as is thier purpose... Without the diplomatic "buffer", you've got two individuals that thinks the other is just a f'in moron which their respecitive intel agencies would have little problem assasinating... There's far greater risk for an a senseless argument resulting in even worse relations... Besides, it's not like either side doesn't know "what the deal is"....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 9 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]330071[/snapback]</div>
    It accurately reflects the idiocy some of the more left oriented folks here insist upon, and when argued against, turn violent.... :lol:

13. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 9 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]330087[/snapback]</div>

Thank God MS is back to his fascist self! I was beginning to get worried when he actually supported gun control.

14. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I think we should hold more 'talks' with North Korea.

Shouldn't we just all get together and talk?

The talks with NK and Iran are going so good. I wish we would have done another dozen years of talking with Iraq and Saddam. Just a couple more meetings and I think they will hand over the keys to the nuke factory.

Yep, just another meeting or two...

I think we should also pass a UN resolution stating that it is wrong for NK to blow up any US City.

15. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Oct 9 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]330143[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Oct 9 2006, 02:08 PM) [snapback]330143[/snapback]</div>
    No, talks and meetings are completely pointless with anyone. If we don't like what they're doing we should just invade them and take what we want, show the the rightousness of democracy and the west. We're doing it for their people after all. :rolleyes:

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Bordering countries to North Korea: China, Russia, Japan, South Korea. None of them like the fact that North Korea has the bomb and that its government is nuts.

If all these countries would get aboard the plan, A BLOCKADE would be the best response. A forceful message from all these countries stating that if North Korea did not immediately give up its nuclear weapons and all nuclear nuclear fuel, the blockade would remain in affect until the country of North Korea shriveled up and died. And attack by North Korea on any one of these countries would be considered an attack on all the countries and would be dealt with in the harshest of manners.

North Korea would not want to try to endure the upcoming winter with a blockade cutting off all supplies.

Time for talk is over.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure that could be accomplished with a couple years of talks, demands for changes in various policies b/w the various countries that already exist, negotiating relation and trading polices shouldn't take more than a few years with this kind of motivation....what could N.Korea do in that time?

I think you're totally right that such a barricade would, certianly bring about a much more potent change in policy much more quickly, but the reality of the politics amongst the countries that would have to work together seems to suggest this is going to be less than a 'simple' solution.

19. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Oct 9 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]330062[/snapback]</div>
    Been there, done that, bought the shirt. (Boring holes in the ocean at 150 ft is BORING).

Deterrent only works when both sides (I guess now it's all sides against NK) are concerned about the final outcome. I am not sure NK is. Now we just need to do everything (except Battle Stations Missile) that we threatened in the way of sanctions and see if there is resolution. If not, I guess we're back in the Cold War.

We did blockade Cuba once but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away - we were the only other player in the game.

20. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Oct 9 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]330062[/snapback]</div>
    OK lets look at this option. We set off a nuke which sends a nice cloud of radioactive dust that goes up into the ionosphere. Notice on the local weather how they allways show the jet stream flowing from west to east, across the Pacific, then Alaska, Canada, and the US? Efusco, would you care to explain the medical ramafications of radiation sickness? Don't think this is the best idea IMO.

This might be the best response initially, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Japan and South Korea would be promptly on board, Russia would also be a pretty good bet. China could potentially be a problem though.

What I think would be a bad idea though is for the US to try something on its own. Right now the Security Council (UN) is unified on this matter and I think it's important we let that avenue work through.