1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Northern NJ pricing

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by kroser, Nov 28, 2008.

1. kroser

kroser New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I live in Morris County in NJ and don't see the same print advertisements for sales on Prius that others are mentioning. Some dealers still insist on selling at MSRP or higher although one of the highway stores says he'll sell at $800 over invoice but he has an extremely high $350 documentation fee. For some reason he seems unwilling to confirm that the invoice price for the Package 3 is $24139 until we start the final paperwork. Could he have some tricks up his sleeve? Might he produce some other form of Toyota documentation that claims the invoice price is higher than the figure I got off of edmunds.com and bluebook.com?

Another dealer says he'll go $500 below MSRP but appears to be more straightforward about all the costs involved. All appear to have cars on the lot.

Has anyone else in this area bought recently and can you share the results of your bargaining?

2. willchu

willchu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought mine a while back in totowa (or little falls) Toyota Universe. They say dont buy from highway dealers because they will not care about you but just to sell volume...well that's a good thing I believe. They will bend more if they are just interested in volume rather than profit...get me? It adds up for the bigger dealerships. I would suggest go there and try them out.

As with packages..I can't really remember but..i know I got my 07 with pkg 4 at 24k out the door price from toyota universe.

good luck

3. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting that you used edmonds and blue book, but not the Toyota site? That is where you learn the MSRP for your car and package for your area.

Go to toyota.com. Arrow over the Prius and click on Build Your Own. Put in your zip code, then follow the prompts for the model, package, etc. This will give you the MSRP forthe car you want in your area.

I'm not even sure what the "invoice" price is. But I know there are threads on that, I saw them back in the Summer when I was looking for mine.

Good Luck!

4. ruby

ruby Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hi Freedom,

FYI - "Invoice" price is what the dealer pays for the car (or very close to it). Ideally, you don't want to pay much more than $500 or so over invoice (allows the dealer to make a fair profit). Sticker price (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, or MSRP) is what you will see at Toyota.com - there is lots of mark up room in that. Usually you only pay MSRP or higher when a car is in high demand, as the Prius was last spring and summer.

I think it is now possible to get a Prius off the lot for close to invoice price or below (depending on dealer incentives) because demand has cooled significantly, both due to the poor economy and lower gas prices, both of which are likely to be temporary conditions.

When the new 2010 Prius hits the lots in the spring or summer of 2009, I suspect demand will shoot up again and folks will be paying MSRP to get the latest toy :)