1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Northern NJ radio reception

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jimmyrose, Apr 8, 2007.

1. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Silver Surfer has the worst radio (FM) reception of any car I've owned. The difference in reception of the NY radio stations between the Prius and my wife's 2000 Honda are significant.

I know there's at least 2-3 other northern NJ folks "near" me that post here - do any of you experience the same thing (stations coming in stronger on a non-Prius than your Prius - same stations, same area)? I'm just trying to determine if this is normal for the Prius, or is this something I should be asking the dealer about. I have the '06 w/package #7, with the JBL AM/FM 6-disc CD Changer w/9 speakers w/ the original whip antenna. It's been like this since day 1.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Apr 8 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]419856[/snapback]</div>
    You're not talking AM radio but some stations, specifically WFAN and ESPN radio, just don't come in at all. It's even worse when the regenerative breaking kicks in, most of the time that will drown it out completely.

FM reception is slightly worse than average, but with FM all I listen to is the NYC NPR station, and I've never really had any troubles with that. Altho, come to think of it, with my Jetta I could pick up the Philly NPR stations, and I can't with the Prius.

3. v.jones

v.jones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Apr 8 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]419856[/snapback]</div>
    WNYC and WQXR have got to be two of the weakest "big-time" stations in the area (and the only ones worth listening to other than the even weaker college stations). Due to the hills and the Palisades, there are also huge localized signal differences, not to mention high levels of background RF noise. I have one stop light where I typically lose WNYC-FM, but only if I am among the first few cars stopped! and forget AM reception as you drive past the transmitters in Rutherford on the Turnpike...

Time of day also impacts signal quality, not sure if its increased background competition or reduced xmitter power at night. As far as the Prius is concerned, I've got the 2005 version of the 6CD JBL, and its OK sensitivity wise: better than the Ford Explorer and Subaru Legacy, worse than the Toyota Avalon and (until it died) Chrysler Concorde.

Good luck and have fun!

Vince

4. wojo

wojo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HI All
    I live just opposite of you, in WNY. I noticed the reception in the 08 Prius is very poor, and I believe there is nothing I can do to improve it.
    I have 2 friends that are also PRII owners, and they state the same thing.
    Any kind of signal booster that could be installed?

5. resoh02

resoh02 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you think your reception is bad on you 08 wait till you get a 2010, its worse. I have been working on the problem with the dealer for a year, 3 radios later still the same problem. I got a call today and they said there is nothing they can do.

6. richbutler1

richbutler1 Green Commuter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same poor reception on my 05 going up 287N then over to 95N in CT. I've resigned myself to Pandora, audiobooks on my iPhone w/FM transmitter. I've got a portable JVC HD FM receiver with a car kit I picked up cheap from a deal a day site that I might try too. Digital should either lock or not. Snaking the wiring for the antenna through the cabin is not something I would enjoy though. Has anyone heard of improved reception with the Sharkfin replacement antennas that are out there? They're not cheap though, $65-$90 bucks from what I've seen color matched.

On a similar note, do you find the max volume too low using an iPod/iPhone FM transmitter?

7. resoh02

resoh02 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you go thru the chats for poor reception changing antenna does help, actually I don't think anyone has found a solution.

8. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    FM seems about the same as other cars. WINS (AM) some days is OK, some days terrible, and even worse when the rear window heater is on or when the electric motor is working hard. Either the station is running lower power on those days, or maybe there's a loose shield somewhere.

Richard