1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Northern & Southern Lights

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bevspark, Jun 28, 2009.

1. bevspark

bevspark Toyota, Major Sponsors of The

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I watched a documentary on the Northern and Southern Lights today. I found it very interesting, and the presenter was obviously moved and in awe to witness this wonder of the world.
    I would be interested to hear from anyone who has been lucky enough to see this for themselves.

[​IMG]Aurora Borealis

[​IMG]Aurora Australis

[​IMG]

Aurora australis ([ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11"]September 11[/ame], 2005) as captured by NASA's [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAGE"]IMAGE[/ame] satellite, digitally overlaid onto the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Marble"]The Blue Marble[/ame] composite image.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If we are around long enough to experience a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal"]geomagnetic magnetic reversal[/ame] or at least the severe weaking period we should be able to see northern/southern lights in weird places like the equatorial regions or mid latitudes! :) Currently the field is weakening so if you're around in a thousand years or so you might experience this. lol

3. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think I will be around then. :(

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Myabe not in spitit but with all the preservatives we eat in our foods we may be in body. :)

They are indeed beautiful. I have never seen either in person but I've watched enough documentaries and seen lots of pictures in my texts. I never really thought too much of them till I found out what causes them and then they took on a whole new level of beauty. :) Thanks for posting Bev.

5. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Calgary Northern Lights

I was hoping that our Canadian friends could coment on this one.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

During the part of my childhood in Northern Michigan, in the center of the Keeweenaw Peninsula, which sticks out into the the middle of Lake Superior, the Northern lights were a common occurence. Not having any towns, north east and west of the peninsula, as that was cold dark water, made for good seeing. In Calumet, where we lived, it is a high spot of the Peninsula, which helped as well. They are truely awe inspiring.

Here in Chicagoland I have only seen them once, back in the early 70's. I was driving out to pick up my brother from work at about midnight (restaraunt/banquet hall job), and off on the horizon there was a faint red curtain off to the north east. It was a very clear night. With the higher lighting in this area, and Chicagoland in general, I doubt they would be visible any longer from any inland location.

The last time I tried to see them, I went to the only nearby open clear, dark space, and was promptly kicked out of the Prarie Preserve by a ranger. The DuPage County forrest preserve district is pretty anti-science and technology bunch of people, and wont put up with any reasonable night-time activty.

1 person likes this.
  7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I've been awed by them while standing in Montana and also in Alaska. Silent, eerie, beautiful, and a sight once experienced never forgotten. While attending college in middle of PA, I used to regularly X-country ski at night on two back to back golf courses and even saw them there, but while they were very faint they were still remarkable considering how far south we were.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Calgary's not very far North, by Canadian standards, yet faint greenish glows are often seen at what we'd call lower latitudes. The more energetic and colourful displays are usually only seen closer to the pole. One of these years I'm going to make a trip to see this phenomenon.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've seen them, back when I first lived in North Dakota. Nothing spectacular like you get closer to the poles, but impressive. However, in recent years (like the last 20 or 30 years) I've never been awake late enough.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have seen plenty of auroras from dark areas of Idaho, but only a couple from the seriously light polluted skies of Seattle.

11. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Northern Lights

Both times when I was in Alaska I saw them. Once it was bright enough to read... I also believe I heard it... the ribbons moved and swayed in a luminous green glow with a slight mix of yellowish green as it got closer to the earth, and it looked like they touched the ground a couple of times...

When the wife is feeling better, I plan on taking her there to see em.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Where I live, the northern lights are easy enough to see outside of light-polluted areas. The HPS street lighting makes it very difficult to see aurora

I've been to a few DEW line sites in the 80's, the northern lights are BRIGHT. Apparently, you can hear what sounds like a hissing or static discharge, if they're strong enough. I never did

Apparently, the CME event of 1989, that knocked out Hydro Quebec, folks living in northern areas of Quebec claimed the sky looked like it was on fire

13March 1989 - Solar CME Storm

I'm pretty sure it would be terrifying to witness a large scale CME, like the infamous 1859 Carrington's Flare

1 person likes this.
  13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We see them fairly often. When we get a really good show, the lights extend overhead and off to the south.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  14. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's one of those things to put on your bucket list isn't it. Even though I am not that far from the Southern Australis, I would imagine it would be a very expensive trip.

15. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I travelled to Sydney in December to be there for the New Years Eve fireworks. But I bet the Northern Lights are 1,000 times better. Plus the fact they are a natural phenomenon, don't polute the earth, and don't cost thousands of dollars to produce, also makes the Auroras more appealing.

16. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Then you will have to go to the south pole, because that would suit your body clock. ;)

17. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Northern Lights

She would feel better just seeing it I'm sure.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ???

19. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

That's my hope... we are hopeful that it is sooner than later.

Also I should note that the aurora is primarily active when there are sunspots (both of the times I witnessed them there was significant sunspot activity)... or other solar activity that throws material from the star in our direction (as a dislodged prominence or a cme event)...

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I must have missed the details but I hope she gets better soon. Best wishes. :(