1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nose bra....front nose cover...whatever they are called these days.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MuttleyHybrid, May 25, 2010.

1. MuttleyHybrid

MuttleyHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hiya folks,

I was thinking about getting one of those black nose bras ( if that's what they still call them,) to protect the front bumper and edge of the hood. I do alot of highway travel for work, and in the past, my cars have suffered alot of chips. Does anyone know if there would be a problem putting one on a Prius? Are there any sensors, or any thing else that might be blocked by the use of one of these?

Thanks for any feedback!

2. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Answer: Yes, they make them.

But, do you want it to be black? There is a clear peel-n-stick option, now, that serves the same purpose...and it doesn't affect the overall appearance.

3. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go with clear. Paint will age evenly.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is no problem using a bra -- or front end mask, as it is called -- insofar as vehicle function is concerned. Two issues: 1) finding one to fit your car, and 2) its effect on the finish.

Regarding fit, Toyota made one for the '04 & '05 Prius. The '06-'09 models have a small air dam added below the grille which makes the '04/'05 mask a tough fit. I've heard of some folks that have tried to make it fit, but they were probably more successful cussing about it than making it work. I don't know why Toyota never released one for these later model years, and I don't know if the mask for the '04/'05 MY is still available. There may be aftermarket models available, but if you buy one make sure the specs state that it is specific to the '06-'09 MY.

If you have a good polish on the finish and remove the mask every couple of months to clean beneath it, the finish should be fine. In two years of using mine I saw no scratches from it and no discernible difference in paint shade -- both theoretical concerns. I made the mistake of not removing it for a year, however, and I ended up with some minor marring of the bumper and grille from accumulated debris. See this for more.

The clear mask that the others suggest of course is an option, though considerably more expensive than the removable vinyl mask.

1 person likes this.
  5. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    We regularly travel between CO and AZ and do a lot of side trips in each location, so we got 3M clear bra installed. It is great stuff.

Be aware that it comes in different widths, though. Most dealers only have the 12" wide stuff installed, then they charge the same as our guy who uses 24" wide material. It covers the entire bumper cover, most of the hood (up to 4.5" below the window washer jets) and the front fenders as far as the back of the headlights. He also installed it on the headlights, the backs of the mirrors and in the door handle "pockets." We've had it on other cars and it has never yellowed or showed any signs of deterioration.

6. MuttleyHybrid

MuttleyHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Geeeezzz.... never even heard of a clear one. I have been out of the auto accessory hobby for so many years. Thanks for the input folks. I was thinking the black would be a nice contrast to the silver color of my 08 Prius, just to be different. There are so many silver ones in my area. Oh...a side note...my first tank of gas...519 miles.....52 mpg! I will post this on the mpg forum.....I'm so giddy I'm telling strangers in the street!

7. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR2PV-ayl_g&feature=related"]YouTube- Clear Bumper Installation Video[/ame]

8. LNG724

LNG724 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check out Colgan Custom Truck Bras and Car Bras.
    They make a first rate product

9. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone tried one of the non-3M clear bras that are sold on eBay? I found complete kits ranging from $25-60 + s/h which was actually reasonable. A far cry from the prices charged at local shops. Even the 3M bras are only around $150 or so.

Even if it had to be replaced every year or two, it'd still work out to be WAAAY cheaper, this way, assuming DIY installation.

10. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the Ventureshield on Carmine, had that put on within 4 days of pick up. very happy with it. Expensive, but no worries once it is one there.

11. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  12. justin time

justin time Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I picked up the $160 Clear Bra full kit from the folks on ebay. Will report on results after I get it installed. Not sure when that will be as the temp needs to be at least in the high 70's, and it's been rather chilly here lately.

Installing seems pretty much like window film(probably same stuff) and if you've seen obvious DIY window jobs, you know its not as easy as it may seem and the results can be way ugly. I've done windows, and you have to have reasonable mechanical skills, a lot of patience, and be willing to follow instructions.

I'd shy away from the real cheap stuff. It's a lot of work to just see it ruined quickly.

13. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Also be sure you use a quality contact liquid. Makes a big difference in how it applies.

14. Christopher Meyer

Christopher Meyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I own a 2010 Prius, and I just now installed a 2 piece bra ( "snot sock" sais my father) from Coverking.
    No problems installing today as it's 70° and
    sunny, which truly helps fitting.
    I had one on my 1986 CRX Si back in LA.

Attached Files:

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's not the 80's anymore. Just saying... :D

SCH-I535

16. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Clear bra (sticker) is not effective with larger stones compared to the black cloth bra.

17. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Really hard finding a consensus on bra or no-bra. I can understand some may not like them because of cost or appearance or the hassle of taking them on/off. I can also understand that ill-fitting bras and those that are not kept clean when debris gets underneath can scratch the finish. However, I just want to know if putting one on for a 6,500 mile trip and then taking it off until the next trip is worth the cost/effort. One won't help much with the chips in our van's windshield, but I suspect it would have reduced the multitude of chips on the hood and front-end. Given today's clear-coat top finishes, it seems the damage from a bra would be minimal and perhaps easily waxed out if done routinely. For example, when we go to Yellowstone, Glacier and Green Bay next month, I would put the bra on to get to Green Bay. We'll be there for 3 weeks, so I'd take it off for those weeks and then put it back on for the trip back to Phoenix. I'd do the same when we visit my brother in Florida and our daughter in Georgia. Worth it or not?

18. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I say yes! As long as your taking it off from time to time and washing and waxing that area thoroughly, you should be good to go. Have a nice trip!

19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have one from LeBra and fits nice. I liked the 80's;)
    Just wash and wax and you will be good.