1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NOT FOR SALE: 2006 Prius. How much would you pay?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheForce, Oct 22, 2008.

?
  1. $50k+

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. $45,000-$49,999

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $40,000-$44,999

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. $35,000-$39,999

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. $30,000-$34,999

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  6. $25,000-29,999

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  7. $20,000-$24,999

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. Less than $20k

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  9. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My friend and I were arguing back and forth about how much I could get out of my Prius with all the mods I have done to it. I say I could get about 40k-45k out of it and maybe even push 50k. My friend says about 30k-35k maybe even lower. I want to hear from everyone on here what they would pay for my 2006 Prius. Be honest when you vote.

Here is my short ad to get you to buy my Prius.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FOR SALE:

2006 Toyota Prius package #7
    30k miles
    Condition: Excellent or pretty damn close
    Lifetime MPG: 59MPG
    Original tires

Modifications:
    Hymotion Battery - practically new
    In dash computer
    CAN-View
    ScanGauge
    Front/Rear anytime camera
    Wet Okole seat covers
    Wheelskin
    EV button
    Clear Bra
    Front spoiler
    Rear Touring spoiler
    Rear lower color spoiler
    Side turn signal markers
    Sharkfin antenna
    Larger driver side wiper
    Larger rear wiper
    EBH with plug mounted behind license plate
    All weather mats
    Glass breakage sensor
    Aerodynamic hubcaps

And there are a few more mods I know I'm forgetting.

If you were interested in buying my Prius how much would you be willing to pay? Remember to be honest when you vote!

2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With the exception of the Hymotion conversion, mods usually subtract from the value of a car or break even at best.

3. Future

Future Your new best friend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I do like the Red/Black color scheme. My car is Red/Black as well, but it's exterior is black.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To the right buyer I think $35+ is possible, but that's a tiny fraction of the potential purchasing crowd. Most enthusiasts will have done their own mods to their taste. There would be concerns about unknown consequences from all the mods, warranty considerations, and many who just wouldn't like the look.

If you find the right person..someone here who's Prius gets totalled and is in the market at the same time you're selling and you could get a pretty good price. But just stick it up on Craig's...no way.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't take this as an insult, because I like the mods that you have done, but I agree with Jelloslug: mods usually subtract from the value of the vehicle.

I call this the Jeep Syndrome: You will often find Jeeps (and other off-road vehicles) that have been heavily modified by the owners for sale. The ad will list all of the costs for each mod and then will tell you what a great deal it is because its only priced $20k above what you could buy a new Jeep for, but he spent $40k for all the mods. It only works if you find someone who wants all those mods exactly as they are. Most buyers will want a stock vehicle so they can make their own mods or they won't want to mod it at all.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the only thing/things that add value here are the Hymotion pack and, maybe, CAN-View...and the amount is not going to be as much as they cost by a long shot...an informed buyer might pay an additional $5k-7500 beyond KBB for those.

7. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Probably could have gotten over $40k two months ago, prices are sliding now with the economy and the rest of the auto market. Bad news for resale, good news for those looking to buy! I might finally be able to find a reasonable deal on a certified pre-owned for our second Prius. Good thing, because there is no equity left in my house to buy another salvaged one :(

Saw an '08 package 2 with 7k miles certified pre-own (w/100k warranty and roadside assistance) advertised for $20.9k the other day. Same dealer had an '06 w/ 50k miles certified for $17.9k. I think thats the first certified one I'd seen under $20k since I started looking last summer. They also listed 8 new '09s in stock, though all were still listed at MSRP.

Rob

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    right now, around $30k... 2 months ago....$40+.... next summer?? could be $35K

no matter what happens now, gas will go up next summer. i am happy about one thing, despite an over a buck a gallon drop in prices this month, consumption has NOT gone up. maybe we have learned a lesson... one can only hope

9. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think in your land between $30-$35k woudl be reasonable for all the bits n pieces you've added to it. As previous posters have mentioned sometimes going OTT on mods detracts from its value, but from your pics and the overall presentation of the vehicle the above price is pretty fair.

I would have said more if you had height adjustable seats...;)....standard here in UK as I'm sure you know.....:)

10. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    i gotta agree with the Doc on this one. probably at most 7500 over kbb........ but to a real prius guy/gal, maybe 35-40 grand?

11. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    KBB private party = $22
    Hypermotion = $7.5K
    Mods = $3K
    Total = $32.5K

12. fish_antlers

fish_antlers New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    only mod adding value is hypermotion... other mods take away from value, would be best to sell others separately.

Bone stock is always most valuable in resale.

13. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never, as a rule, mod a car thinking you will get that money back. Unless you run into that one buyer that absolutely loves all of those things, you are going to eat those mods.

That's why I mod my car when new and enjoy those mods during the time I own it and then try to sell it while still in good condition to maximize my return. I still plan to sell my '05 when the Gen III has been out for about 4 to 6 months.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it funny that i just got my renewal notice and that my policy has been changed to allow up to $1000 for additional modifications, user upgrades and accessories. i wonder if the hymotion would be something different?

P.S.

i see the most popular selection on the poll was "under 20K"...now is that one's fair assessment of the value of the car or "wishful thinking?"