1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not her baby... wrong baby implanted, now born...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amm0bob, Sep 29, 2009.

1. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found this heart-lifting story one that has led to several spirited discussions regarding life...

I am happy that the outcome is what it is... and I am hopeful the fertility clinic responsible for the fiasco takes a responsible approach to a solution. And gets on the ball with giving the mother children of their own instead of them being forced into becoming a surrogate...

Wrong-embryo baby?s parents laud guardian - Health- msnbc.com

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So like, IVF fail?

3. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Oh No... IVF worked wonderfully... the clinic just implanted the embryo in the wrong uterus...

The surrogate then carried the child that wasn't her's to full term and successful delivery, and gave the baby to the biological parents from whom the embryo was made.

The fertility clinic messed up big time... but there is a happy couple with another child of their own, and a rather upset couple that went completely through the pregnancy only to have the baby they delivered given to another couple...

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There were some interesting moral/ethicolegal issues that this introduced. Apparently when the clinic contacted the pregnant woman they told her she could either abort the baby or carry to term and hand it over to the bio-parents. But if the baby/fetus belonged to the bio-parents how could the surrogate mom have the right to choose to abort?

It is nice to see level headed caring honest people make good decisions, as terribly difficult as they might have been.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Aren't there children in orphanages? Foster children?

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So, I wonder if the biological parents will now offer to surrogate for the embryo that should have been implanted into the other couple, making things even by giving the other couple the baby they intended to have without having to endure a second pregnancy?

But I agree with Tony: There are lots of unwanted kids in orphanages, and far too many people in the world. Rather than going to extreme lengths to produce more babies, it would be better for infertile couples to adopt kids already in the world.