1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not in ECO mode (what mode am I in?)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jediatzinger, May 13, 2014.

1. jediatzinger

jediatzinger New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I took my car into my local dealership a little over a month ago for its first oil change (10k miles), tire rotation, and software update (recall). I hadn't paid attention but I noticed that I'm NOT in ECO mode. There isn't anything "lit" up on the display. When I pressed ECO mode the green lettering appeared above my speed, which is how it was before I took it into the dealership (I know because I took a photo of my miles). If I wasn't in ECO mode what mode was I in then?

I drove 1452.4 miles NOT in ECO mode!

My MPG was surprisingly good, but that could easily be related to it really warming up temperature wise. I'm thinking I could have done a lot better now...

Any insight? Why would ECO mode be disengaged after taking it into the dealership? Did the recall update do it? I can turn off and on the ECO mode. What mode is the car in when ECO isn't on? What does ECO/unnamed mode do?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    normal mode. if you check the manual, it will describe eco/normal/power modes. you can get the same mpg's in any of them, it just depends on how you drive and which you prefer. eco mode does suppress a/c a bit though.

dorunron and hybridbear like this.
  3. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Another effect of ECO mode in the winter is reducing the amount that the engine runs just to keep itself hot - i.e. it would run more just to make heat in 'non-Eco' (normal) mode.

dorunron and hybridbear like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The "modes" are really overblown imho. It's not surprising you're still getting decent mileage with ECO off. It's main effect is to increase gas pedal travel required to get the same throttle response. But throttle response with ECO off is by no means hair-trigger, still very easy to modulate.

I found pedal travel excessive and frustrating in ECO, shut it off and left it off, early on.

dorunron likes this.
  5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All replies are spot on. I agree with Mendel. After trying all four modes, I too prefer the "Normal Mode" the best. Hardly ever use EV. I can EV with no problem once I get into S4 Mode. Power Mode - Ok if you need to get off the line quick, but really hard on the motor mounts IMO. Eco Mode, too much pedal movement for me. Normal Mode. A happy in between of ECO and Power.

Only time I use ECO is if I am cruising on highway using the cruise control. Rest of the time Regular Mode. EV mode is a waste cause it kicks out at 11 MPH. I can EV in Regular Mode up to 40 MPH easily. I don't EV a lot, I prefer P&G. But I have also found for the most part if I just take it easy and don't hot rod the Prius, I can easily beat the EPA figures and not have to P&G all of the time. In other words just drive it, but don't hot rod it. Works for me.... Of course I am not getting 60 or 70 MPG like the best do, but I am still real happy with my new Gen III Prius.

Ron (dorunron)

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

This only happens when the car is not completely warmed up. Once it's completely warmed and you use EV mode, it should allow you to go up to 25mph

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No biggie. I use ECO full time, but this is a matter of personal preference. Some folks do better outside of ECO.
    A little better? Maybe, maybe not. A lot better? No.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks JC for the info. I will look into that when I think about it with a full battery and in S4 mode.

Once I prove that to myself, I will edit my post accordingly.

Ron

9. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    if you do a lot of freeway/highway travel it makes no difference what mode you are in. I have tested all modes (i travel 500miles a week all on I-15) and i get the same MPG no matter what mode im in.
    I think it has more to do with in city driving and how much throttle is used to propel the car which will effect your overall MPG.
    For the record, i run in 'normal' mode all the time.

JC91006 likes this.
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is good to know, as my wife insists on using ECO mode, which drives me nuts

11. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah i like normal mode for the stop and go traffic on the freeway... lets me accelerate faster so i can keep closer to the car in front of me so i don't have 100 cars cut me off in my daily travel.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People sometimes get confused because on the dash they see the 3 buttons and then think their are only or specifically 3 driving modes.

But there are actually 4. ECO, Power, EV and Normal. Normal being with no button pressed and no icon lit.

The majority of my driving is in ECO and Normal.