1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

not mpg, but gph when just 'on'

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by geologyrox, Dec 10, 2005.

1. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

i swear, i learned more about the prius during the *many* searches for this information than I have in a few months of lurking and then low/active participation. I'm obviously searching for the wrong words, though, because I'm not having much luck.

Has anyone recorded any info on how much gas gets burned when you leave the car on? I should be spending another glorious month out west next summer, and while i know i'll be getting better milage, i don't know how much leaving it on sometimes at night will effect that.

I'll likely have a 1000 watt inverter, which i assume will need to be hooked up to the 12v battery - we've done that before, during hurricanes, with my camry, and my searches indicate that people do it with the prius too. i'll sometimes leave the lights on for an hour or two, or maybe longer - setting up camp and making dinner is *much* easier when you can see. I'll have a stereo plugged into the inverter, and from time to time i may end up setting up my sleeping bag in the car, with the seats folded down, with either cooling or heat engaged, all night.

How much gas will I burn doing this? I expect I'll awake the next day to a lowish battery, and the ICE will kick on over and over again, but will I be burning a lot of gas? Should I worry about leaving it on if i've only got four gallons left? how about two?

i'm certain it will burn less gas than when we leave a 15 passenger van on for lights and stereo purposes, but i don't want to cause my car any harm, and i don't want to do it if it's extremely wasteful. It's just plain WONDERFUL, though, if i can actually blow dry my hair (800 watt dryer =P) and blast the man in black out in BLM land =)

2. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If its just for one or two nights you should be okay. In one day, I drove 400 miles and left the car on for about 4 hours to run the air conditioner (it was between 80-95 f) and I got 43.5 mpg. I normally get about 42.5 mpg during a normal 10 days driving. The car seemed to cycle on and off every 20 minutes for I would guess 2-3 minutes each time. I start my car about three time/day at 2 five hour intevals so the car is cold each time. So for an eight hour period you would use less gas than cold starting your car 60 times.

3. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've Heard a Week!

Read this story. I'll bet you can go for at lease days days on a 1,000 watt inverter with a full tank of gas.

The most I've done with my 1,250 watt inverter was 3 hours and I never noticed any fuel gauge or mileage difference.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Bob Wilson on the Yahoo Prius_Technical_Stuff group reported 0.16 gallons per hour with an (intermittent?) 800 watt load done this way. Round that up a bit for safety, and realize that it might also increase in very cold conditions because you will get ICE restarts for intake manifold reheating as well as HV battery SOC maintenance. But neither of the batteries will get discharged in this way, assuming that you only use the inverter with Prius in "Ready" mode.

All the Prius inverter users I know have modified sine wave equipment. Given that 1000 watt pure sine wave inverters are sometimes as cheap as $300, I hope someone goes that route someday. Hair dryers and other resistive loads don't care, but some motors and computer equipment are more particular.

5. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

thank you so much guys! just what I was hoping to hear. Even taking the .16 figure with a grain of salt, I think I'm still talking about less than a gallon for an hour or so of lights and stereo, followed by a few hours of just stereo - and i can't imagine 5 minutes of hair drying the next morning would drain the tank =)

If there comes a night when I know I'll be sleeping in the car or otherwise leaving it on all night, I'll fill up right before we camp, and then again the next morning. It'd be nice to have another set of figures on the topic =)

6. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

Okay, here's something that was touched on here, but I think it needs more discussing. This question is for Vincent and anyone else who has actual experience connecting a 1,000W inverter to their Prius.

What is the maximum wattage you have actually drawn? Are you direct off the battery, or through a fuse? If through a 100A fuse, in a perfect world you would be able to draw up to 1,200W. At 90% efficiency 1080W would be available. However, the car needs power too, so even if you are drawing through a separate fuse you could be seriously stressing that little battery.

Curious about what maximum wattages you have actually drawn (is an 800W hair dryer really 'doable' on a routine basis?) and just how you've hooked the inverter up to the battery.

Experiences only -- thanks!

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I actually did the "hair dryer thing" for my sister-in-law at a campground, and the spec label on it said something below 1000 watts (else I would not have plugged it in). The highest load I have routinely used is a 2-slice toaster, which draws 875 watts. for that, there have been times when the added inverter would alarm and not operate. Those were in desert camping and the inverter was warm and shut down by its own internal thermal limit.

The inverter is installed adjacent to the 12 volt Prius battery, with 6 guage stranded copper wire, lengths less than 18 inches. For longer wire runs, even fatter wire is appropriate. The positive side is spliced to the battery's fat poitive wire.

The added inverter has internal fuses (I suppose this is common) but I am very reluctant to risk blowing the Prius' 100 amp system fuse (expensive, would render the car immobile, and I do not carry a spare). Therefore I added a 100-amp ANL fuse to the positive line. Then, I learned that ANL fuses require something like 1 minute at 20% overcurrent to blow, and downgraded to a 60 amp ANL. This has worked fine with the above loads. If it blows, I only lose my added 110 vac, not vehicle function.

In the classic Prius it is possible to install a conventional household 110 vac double receptacle to the back of the front seat center console (plastic cutting, and careful wiring practice is required). As these receptacles are available in gray, it makes a very attractive installation. Also my model of modified sine wave inverter (mfr = Whistler) has a remote switch that I modified to fit into one of the unused switch positions on lower left dash.

8. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Well, I've finally had opportunity to play around with the Prius hooked up to an inverter - I've been vending at Bike Week, and have to run my computer to handle some of the orders. I am using a 400 watt inverter, but I only use ~100 because I'm still using the cigarette adapter.

I've been doing this every day since last Friday - when I had about 300 miles on the tank. I never noticed a very large drop in milage, I was just below 50 when I'm normally a little higher. I happened to fill up my tank yesterday, and arrived when I had 8 miles / 50.2 mpg on the tank. I copied down the mpg at various times (whenever I got a chance) and ended the night 7 hours later with 8 miles / 10.0 mpg.

Now, it's still pretty early to me, but I think I've done the math out right - I think I got there having burned about .16 gallons, and I left having burnt about .8 gallons - which, over 7 hours, gives me about .1 gallons burned per hour. I had the computer running for the first couple of hours, and later added a light as well as heat but no compressor.

Obviously you'd use more if you were getting near 1000 watts out of it, but I'm now sure it will be just fine as a jukebox on wheels and still give me good use of a hairdryer in the morning =)

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Based on 2001-2003 Prius, when the car is "ready" but with no obvious loads, it is taking about 700 watts out of the HV battery. Beyond the inverters and their coolant pump, couldn't tell you where it goes.

At some point he battery state of charge falls to about 52% and the engine lights up. Battery charged up to 55%, engine stops.

If you were, for example, external charging during this, SOC would not fall. But the car would still start from time to time to warm the catalyst . I don't know what sensor it could use to trigger this, other than the engine coolant.

Your estimated 0.1 gallon per hour seems in line with others posted. It would increase with external electrical load. Perhaps not as rapidly as you might think, because of the load mentioned above.