1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not playlist-based iPOD soulution

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by CrazyRussian, Aug 2, 2006.

1. CrazyRussian

CrazyRussian Junior Member

Has anyone heard anything about an iPOD-like-menu-based solution? The one that instead of playlists will use menu similar to iPOD?

2. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

The only thing I can think of would be rather complicated. Use a Can-View to connect video to the MFD and to get button presses back out. Connect a laptop (or any other computer you can get to fit in the car) to the can view. Use a front-end program (google "car computer" to find some of these) to display a music menu on the MFD and write a driver to interpret the MFD presses as clicks on the menu. Get an auxbox or a Soundlinq and connect the computers sound to the car audio. Play music off the computer's drives, or connect an Ipod or other mp3 player to the computer and play from there. You'll also need a power supply for the computer, either a car adapter for a laptop or an inverter. A way to get the computer to start automatically when the car starts would be good too.

This is big mess, but the only part I don't think exists right now is the driver to interpret the MFD presses. Also, last I looked, Can-view isn't available for 06's yet. Good luck!

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyRussian @ Aug 2 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]296567[/snapback]</div>

That would require so much equipment it's not even close to marketable.

4. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyRussian @ Aug 2 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]296567[/snapback]</div>
    CarPC using an Mac mini running Front-row? You can't get better than running iTunes directly and plugging your iPod into it.

Of course, hooking it all up, working touch-screen interfacing, probably needing CAN-View as an interface, and only works for pre-2006 Prius as limitations and price $$$.

5. CrazyRussian

CrazyRussian Junior Member

All,

thank you for the input, some good information.

I was aware of a post that involved MacMini, CanView, FrontRow combination. I was actually thinking about it all evening yesterday ... If CanVew can capture touch coordinates then the manu-based solution should be solveable. Here is what I'm thinking: design a control unit that will plug into MFD and iPOD. That control unit will feed a pre-designed iPOD-like menu to the MFD, get coordinates of touches, retreive song, genre, artist, album lists from an iPOD based on the command, and display the retreived list on the MFD. All menu navigation would only be possible from the MFD and only when an iPOD in play mode, steering weel buttons NEXT and PREV could be used.

Can some point me to documentaion on:
    1. iPOD protocol specs
    2. MFD Input/output documentation

We'll see, maybe I'll find enough time to actually get this off the ground

6. Hi-Bred

Hi-Bred New Member

Check this out: http://www.coastaletech.com/ULTIMATE IPOD.htm

7. JasonQG

JasonQG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hi-Bred @ Aug 9 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]300302[/snapback]</div>
    That doesn't use the touch-screen; it uses a separate remote. It's just pairing the video input of the lockpick with the iLink.