1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Not starting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Billyboi91, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Billyboi91

Billyboi91 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a 2005 base Prius without smart key and got the red triangle of death so from reading on here Decided it must be the 12 V battery since the hybrid battery was just replaced less than two years ago with a brand new hybrid battery I put the new 12 V battery in which was actually one for a smart key model but from what I read should not hurt the performance of the vehicle and still got the red triangle of death so I continued reading into that maybe my hybrid fan is dirty so I took all the necessary precautions that I seen on multiple videos And now my Prius won’t even start

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Getting the car's warning codes read is a good next step to find out what the problem is... This can be done via phone apps like Dr. Prius and Hybrid Asst., just make sure to buy the right OBD2 reader: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus You can also use Toyota Techstream software via: Mini VCI J2534 OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Code Reader for Lexus Toyota Techstream New | eBay

Also many people will come here and say their car had a brand new hybrid battery put in a while back only to discover that the battery was a rebuilt pack, not a new one, which doesn't last as long as a new one.

3. Billyboi91

Billyboi91 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It’s a new hybrid battery I know that for a fact but I don’t have a way it get the codes read

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Asking for help without having the codes is like asking a blind man what color something is. You might get lucky but you will probably get a wrong answer. You need to get the codes.

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you replace the traction battery?

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you disconnect the 12v battery for 5 minutes the codes will be cleared and you might be able to get your car to not notice the problems you're having for a few miles so you can get to an auto-parts store and probably by then the red triangle will come back and they'll read the codes for free for you, but they won't be able to read the sub-codes. But at least that will get you going in the right direction.

Or the more expensive option is to get it towed to a hybrid mechanic. Only option I recommend against is going to a dealership who will rip you off... On the other hand, if the new battery pack was installed by a dealership, it should still be under warranty, so no harm in trying to get them to fix something for free.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    check your battery connections, especially negative to ground. make sure they are clean and tight.

then test the battery. it should read at least 12.8 after being off several hours. if not, put a smart charger on it, or return it.

if it still won't start after all that, you may have blown a fuse. that will take some time and testing.

if all the fuses are good (there are a few important ones) codes will be the next step

where did you get the 'new' hybrid battery? a toyota oem installed by a dealer would have a 3 year warranty
    all the best!(y)

Skibob likes this.
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps he lives close to a member that has a scanner? Can’t tell as he didn’t list his location.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yeah the US of A is pretty expansive :(.

Maybe he’ll return and we can get a better geographical idea (y).

Skibob likes this.
  10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hah... All you commenters think you'll have friends if they return... But you should know by now that they rarely do... Face it, we're all just here talking among ourselves about someone else problem who's not even around, not even paying attention anymore... What a sad life all you PriusChatters live. :)

Skibob likes this.
  11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps but I am gaining knowledge. :)

PriusCamper likes this.
  12. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    does this mean you disconnected the hybrid battery and cleaned your hybrid fan, if so snap the orange hybrid battery plug down. your plug may not be seated right, push it down.

strawbrad likes this.